• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M880 Style Tune-Up Parts

davehelland

I've just recieved the military style metal/waterproof style distributor cap for my D150 and am looking for the screw-in adapters or cable sets to go with it.
Any vendors or craftsmen out there make or sell them?

nattieleather

I assume you are talking about the plug wires that go from the distributor to the spark plugs. You will need military plugs too as the wires have a screw on connector at both ends for both the distributor and the spark plug. As to where to find them I have no clue other than to keep an eye on the classified here and on ebay. My question is why would you want to go to the military set up when the civilian cap, wires and plugs are easier and simpler?

davehelland

I still work with my truck (hauling, snow clearing etc.) and thought conversion would be a good idea (think tractor). I also noticed where the water went when I opened my birdbath hood in the rain (right onto the distributor)

Elwenil

I honestly have never seen a M880 series with a sealed ignition system. All the ones I have seen use a typical old civilian parts which are a lot easier to seal up than it is to find 40 year military surplus. There were a few Chrysler big block engines that used the sealed setup but I can't recall any Chrysler LA series small block that had a military application with a sealed ignition system. Either way it's going to be a lot of searching for something that is probably going to cause you problems later on.

nattieleather

I have seen the set up he is talking about back in the 80s when I hung out at the local NG Armory. I believe Bob is correct that the system wasn't meant to seal the mosture out but to help add shielding for commo equipment. The local unit level installed the kit to put them on. It was not a universal thing.