• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M882 Frontend noise

Larry_R

One of my trucks is a 77 M882. I've had it for a year and it's an awsome truck. But, ever since i've had it it's always had a noticeable growling noise from transfercase forward. It's hard to tell but sounds like it's coming from the frontend, maybe left side. The noise only happens from 40 to 50 mph then it quits. I can fill a small vibration in the steering wheel during the time it makes the noise.

I've checked all fluids, greased front wheelbearings (more than once) but it still makes the noise. I've pulled the front driveline and drove it, makes no difference. The wheelbearings in front have some play but not an excessive amount. It sounds like a left front wheelbearing or at least from that area to me, but when I greased the crap out of it again it really didn't change the sound or speed in which it makes the noise. You would think fresh grease would change it a little.

Anyway, has anybody had anything similiar happen ? And what was the fix? Suggestions?

brokengun

I've had to change the U-joint behind the wheel bearing at the end of the front axle. I don't remember if it made any particular noise or not. You'll have to pull the front hub to get at it for replacement, but it should be possible to examine the condition of this joint without disassembling anything. On my truck these joints were not equipped with grease fittings, the replacement from Saturn Surplus however, had a cup type greasing point.

McGuyver

I get a vibration in my drive train between 60 - 65 mph which goes away at speeds above that. I've always suspected it had to do with a slightly loose chain in the transfer case that hits a natural frequency around those speeds, although I've never been able to confirm that. However, I used to get the vibration at a lower speed and when I replaced that TC with a surplus used unit, it raised it by about 10 mph, I assumed it was due to a tighter chain in the surplus unit. Another idea was that it was coming from a worn slip joint on the front drive shaft. Try greasing up the slip joint and see if it had any affect. Good luck!

Larry_R

McGuyver,

I've greased everything. I've taken the front driveline out and drove it. I've taken the rear driveline out and drove it. I've even swapped in a different front axle. Still does the same thing.

It's gotta be the t-case........

MATT

Sorry to say but the transfer case needs rebuilt. I see a lot of this ype of noise and clucking noises upon acceleration. Be sure you are using 10w-30 oil in the t-case, many people mistakenly use 80-90w gear lube, it is too thick, the chain will stretch and slip. We have a lot of M880 with the same problem, for us the reapir isn't worth it. We just retire the truck or use it for a loaner. If you get the t-case rebuilt, buy a new chain and replace all bearings.

Matt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks