• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M9 motor options?

I had a major motor malfunction in one of my fire trucks. It's a M9 tractor with the 250 small cam. Not much left of it to rebuild so I will be getting a new motor for it. I'm curious if any other motors will fit in this truck as far as the motor mounts and transmission go. I have a neighbor who has a couple motors (300 and a 400 I think) that he said I could have. I probably just need to quit thinking about a different size motor and just put a 250 back in it but I was just wondering if any others fit.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M9 combat tractor?

If you are talking about a 900 series with the 855 in it, the footprint of the small cam, N/A 250 hp engine in it has the same footprint as any other 855 cid Cummins EXCEPT for the taper nosed, trunnion mounted one. So, anything from a N/A 190 to a turbocharged 400 will fit in it's place, as long as it is not out of a Ford. IF you put a big cam in it, the flywheel housing will need modification at the bolt hole above the camshaft.

When the engines went from small to big cam, the bolt hole location moved. IIRC it needs to be reamed to a 1 inch hole to allow the bolt to meet up with the threads.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks