• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M915a1 purchase, modifications, and questions

I have been eying M916's on GL but the prices have been way out of the range I would want to spend on one, ran across this 83' M915a1 that a guy locally had for sale, traded him a gun and some cash for it and brought it home last night. My main purpose for it will be to tow new purchases home, and hopefully one day to use as a tank or APC hauler. Since I do not have CDL's at the moment I am going to put a deuce bed on it and convert it to an RV, that way I will be able to legally tag/insure/drive it. I will keep all the 5th wheel stuff so I can convert it back once I get a trailer and CDL's.

The batteries in it were no good so I bought two 8D batteries for it ($400), and also started removing parts off the rear today. I found a bed in great condition a couple hours away so I am going to pick it up tomorrow. The paint on the frame is peeling badly so I am going to clean it all up and repaint after I make the bed mounts. I also plan to install larger tires/wheels to get a little more speed out of it.

I also need to do some brake work, one of the rear brakes seems to be hanging up a little.

My first question: Does the air compressor run all the time on these trucks? I know on 939 series trucks the governor cuts them off/on, but this truck seems to constantly release pressure. (To note, I only drove it about 15 minutes to get it home, the guy I bought it from had just driven about an hour in it). I haven't looked at the compressor closely enough to trace back and see if there is a governor yet or not.

IMG_20131216_141028_753-1.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the truck is not leaking air from anywhere, check the discharge valve at the bottom of the AD-2 dryer. A leak there will cause the compressor to work partially and run and run.
The compressor has a cut out just like any other truck.

Allison transmission.

Dangit!!! I just brought the 915 home Sunday and what do I run across tonight? It's extra big brother, an M920. As much more feasible as it would be to keep the m915 since it can pull civvy trailers, I think I am going to offload it and go with the big boy. That would limit me to having to either find a military trailer, or only being able to pull with the pintle, but bigger is better right? For the price of the m920 it is hard to pass up too.

Who wants a m915? PM me some offers!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks