• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M916 Engine Oil and Filters

st8drumz

Ok need clarification/updated info. 1980 M916 - Lube order says (best I can tell) straight 30 weight oil. Is that STILL good info or is there something better for the Cummins NTC 400?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That’s a good question. Since oil changes on these is like a $300 deal, I tend to stretch the intervals since the oil always looks amber on my lightly used 400’s. If you operate in dusty environments, keep with the lube order.

Hammer

Well, I highly doubt most people put enough mileage on them to go by mileage (obvious exceptions like Simp, etc.)
So a TIME based interval is usually a better option to use.
You will most likely not run the engine enough to get enough soot, crud, etc. into the oil. So think about the acidic break down of fuel, soot, etc. that makes it into the oil.
I would say, depending on a few things, yearly, or some longer interval based on every 1,2,3,4 years, based on a somewhat regular interval.
If you have an accurate hour meter, this is another method to use.
And for the pretty low cost, getting an oil sample done every once in a while, should tell you whether you need to be changing the oil more or less often.

Btw, if you start your engine to 'just let it warm up', all the time, you are going to want to change the oil more often then just letting it sit without starting it.

Personally, on the big stuff, I like to change the oils every year or two. Unless I am working them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks