• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M916A1 winch operation while in gear?

rderek

I have 2 of the M916A1 trucks that I am equipping for the oilfield. Has anyone had any experience with the winch on these rigs. I am trying to figure out how to operate the winch while driving forward. Every time I start the PTO while in neutral it works fine, but as soon as I shift the Allison in gear, the PTO kicks out. I know there is a safety feature here, but I need to be able to operate the winch while moving.
Any ideas?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I drove a M916 for two years at Fort Benning.......to the best of my memory we never used the winch with the vehicle in motion. Since the winch is operated from a platform on the rear it would be difficult for the driver to operate the vehicle and winch at the same time.

rderek

I am rigging this up for the oilfield and I had to have in-cab controls as well as ground controls. Everything works well except the PTO kicking out when the transmission is put in gear. Since the DP winch won't free wheel, I have to have a way to pull off the cable in a one-man situation. The easiest way would be to tie off and drive forward while playing out the line. Unfortunately, it won't work that way. There has to be some way to by-pass the safety feature (I assume that's why it does it). I've tried a lot of things to by-pass, but nothing works as of yet.

R Racing

there is a pto switch that won't allow you to drive and run the pto at the same time. the earlier m916s,m917s,m920s. you can opperate both at the same time but its not recomended for safety reasons. If you were to bypass that switch you could opperate both . But once again its not reccomended.

F18hornetM

I know these are not MVs but on many of our new digger derricks and buckets with front winchs we have had to bypass the pto switch as well as parking brake switch. They couldnt pull themselves out.
I'm assuming the winch on the M916 was designed to pull equipment onto a trailer so was never intended to pull itself out.

rderek

Thank you'all for the input. We finally figured it out! The PTO is lubed by the transmission and what happens when I put the transmission in gear is the oil pressure drops and causes the PTO to kick out. When I put the transmission in low and give it some throttle, the PTO works while in gear.