• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M920, to keep or swap out 5th wheel setup

Hammer

Ok, either way I need to at least swap out the top plate to a commercial 2" kingpin.
But, I think that I would like to keep the rest of the stock setup.
Especially since I would eventually get a M870 trailer for it.

Thing is, it really limits the other trailers that I can pull.

So, for those of you that moved your 5th wheel back, or took them off in favor of a sliding 5th wheel and NO ramps at all.
Would you do it again?

I am concerned that with the larger 16r20 tires that I would have interference with a lot of commercial trailers if I just put a sliding 5th wheel mounted low on the frame with no ramps, etc.
It would make it very handy to borrow trailers from work.... But I can always use the 818 for that if need be.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
An option is to remove the ramps and spacer and mount the stock Kompensator to the frame, and swap the plate to a 2" Holland. There is a old thread here on the p/n of the plate (available new).

Hammer

Yeah, I got the "Holland xa-351-a-l-p" part number saved if I go that route.

Thing is, I 'think' that I will end up getting a M870 type trailer. I see a couple civilian scissor neck trailers locally, but they tend to be a bit out of my price range at the moment.

I thought about finding a set of ramps and 5th wheel from a5 ton tractor. They would locate the kingpin pretty close to centered over the tandems, so I could haul more trailers and keep it up high enough for tire clearance.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Monkeyboyarmy

You are going to hate me for this but what I would do is keep the 5th wheel and swap the 920 out for my 915. Seriously, does the M870 have a reversible king pin?

Hammer

Nah, I have plenty of trucks at work if I wanted a line haul tractor.
And the M870 does have the dual pin setup. So either way I go, I will always be able to hook it up. But it would sit pretty low if I pulled the stock setup.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The 1600s are going to have issues on height. Maybe i am pretty sure. I think this setup is on 395s. Could be 16s but i dunno from that distance. 395s are 1 inch shorter than 12.00R24s

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And the M870 does have the dual pin setup. << >> But it would sit pretty low if I pulled the stock setup.
I believe the M870 (not sure if it is true for A2's) have an adjustment in the parallelogram to set the 'gooseneck' at different heights - so OK for civi 2" 5th wheels down close to the frame and for the higher 60+ inch x 3 1/2" LET/METs.

Hammer

Ok, I broke a few of my 3/4" sockets, but I got the ramps and 5th wheel off the 920.
Then I took off the 5th wheel from my 818 and located roughly the same distance from the rear of the frame rails so I should have enough clearance.
I was originally going to swap over the ramps off the 818, but after thinking it over, I think I will cut the 920 ramps off at only 26" long or so, which should be almost the exact same height as the 818 ramps, just a few inches longer.

If I can figure out how to mount the 818 5th wheel, minus the big flat brackets, to a slider, this might be the best setup for me.

20180303_144745.jpg20180304_135657.jpg

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A bit late to the party, but M870A1 (at least) does not have a reversible kingpin. It has a 3-1/2" kingpin and did not come with a 2" kingpin option. The A2, A3, A4... all did, as far as I know.

The M870A1 neck is not adjustable for height. It seems like I remember seeing some photos of an M870 or maybe a 403LF that had such a feature.

I remember checking to see if the M870A1 would have enough ground clearance on a M931A1 fifth wheel and I recall that it did.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CB - doesn't the king-pin "float" or at least come out so that it doesn't get buried in the dirt/damaged by blacktop-hard surfaced roads when lowering the gooseneck to the ground? Therefore an alternative king-pin (2") could be used instead.......?

If it weren't for the locking pins in the parallelogram linkage - alternative 'stop pads' could be employed similar to some RGNs.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CB - doesn't the king-pin "float" or at least come out so that it doesn't get buried in the dirt/damaged by blacktop-hard surfaced roads when lowering the gooseneck to the ground? Therefore an alternative king-pin (2") could be used instead.......?

If it weren't for the locking pins in the parallelogram linkage - alternative 'stop pads' could be employed similar to some RGNs.
The kingpin does come out, yes, and yes, you can use a 2" kingpin in it. I have a custom manufactured one, though I don't have any 2" fifth wheel tractors right now.

I think I know someone who put new pin holes in the neck on an M870 to tow it with an M52A1. I don't have any photos.