• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M920 wheel and tire help

Altman63y

Our volunteer fire department has a m920 that we use to haul water it currently has 11.00r24 on it most of the tires are all dry rotted and cracked we have not been able to find and replacement tires either. Had a tire supplier send us some new tires and rims not sure of the tire size but the rims are 22.5 when trying to install them they hit on the drums. Now I've seen in some other threads that some people have ground the drums down for them to fit does anyone have any pics or tips before I start grinding on the drums

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tell your supplier you need common 24.5 rims not 22.5. That grinding rim process was so private owners could use HEMMT rims on the front axle, and should not be done on a government owned vehicle.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You need 11r or 12r 24.5s

Aelous makes a cheap 12r24.5 that will keep about the same road speed as 11r24

If you need some cheap 11R24s I have 10 or so in Memphis that are high tread and not rotted.

Also some new ones on wheels that are old but never used.

Altman63y

Tell your supplier you need common 24.5 rims not 22.5. That grinding rim process was so private owners could use HEMMT rims on the front axle, and should not be done on a government owned vehicle.
I kinda of had that thought but I'm not familiar with lug patterns and tire sizes so wasnt really sure what would fit the guy that was heading up getting tires for just kinda quit after the 22.5's didn't clear and after having a flat a block from the station yesterday I was just trying to find the fastest way to get it on the road we are very rural and count on that truck to refill all the fire trucks during fires

Altman63y

You need 11r or 12r 24.5s

Aelous makes a cheap 12r24.5 that will keep about the same road speed as 11r24

If you need some cheap 11R24s I have 10 or so in Memphis that are high tread and not rotted.

Also some new ones on wheels that are old but never used.
Out of the 11r24.5 and 12r24.5 which will be the closest to the 11r24

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those 24.5's are very common on log trucks and vacuum trucks. The 22.5s are used on highway trucks. Both sizes use "10 hole Budd" pattern, stud centered.

BEASTMASTER

if I were you I'd find another tire guy. this guy should NOT be downsizing you're rims and tires on a truck that size !!!!!!! he doesn't sound too smart to me .

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mk48 wheels fit the drums on those bigger drums. I did not like cutting into the drum to make other wheels fit. I did it but switched the drums out when I got the correct wheels.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yes. I forgot that they will fit.

Have a few set of the tires and wheels if the op is interested

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys I would not recommend goofy MK48 tires/rims to fire departments. They need tires they can find and have repaired at local truck tire shops.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I will bump this as I found 12.00R24s from a tire shop called gateway for $375 tire,tube,flap installed per tire. That includes excise tax, which we all hate, it is a 22ply tire. So it does give a 6 to 8mph speed increase over the 11.00r24s

11.00r24s were $345 ea

NEIOWA

DOD still using 24" anywhere else? I don't think so. Our M911 but are 14.00x24" so certainly obsolete.

Get the NSN for the tires to your state fed surplus. They may be able to get thru DOD surplus though I doubt any M920 (thus tires) are still in active use by DOD. If can find the tires in RCP status then DOD will pay the frt to you. I've gotten new tires for our M916A3 tanker this route.

Or you can purchase direct off of the DOD contract thru GSA (may or may not be price advantage).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks