• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 Hydraulics?

DampLemonade

Hey all!

Noob poster here, so I apologize for noob-ness in advance :)

Just picked up my new-to-me M923 A1 this last weekend and love it. I've been reading the TMs and familiarizing myself with everything this last week and have a question about hydraulics.

The TMs make it seem like only the trucks with winches / dump beds / cranes had hydraulic systems installed, but mine seems to have one anyway, despite not having any equipment. I found this out from diagnosing what I was getting an oil leak from. I had about a 6 hour drive from where I bought the truck to my house, and stopped for fuel about 2 hours in. I noticed a drip as I was filling up, but it wasn't huge so I kept driving home. Once I got home and got a look at it, I noticed a whole pipe had come off of a pump and was dripping oil from where the pipe had separated. It had to have been like this for the whole ride home. Digging into the TMs, section 1.24 on hydraulic operation is detailing every part I have on the truck, except for hydraulic equipment itself (winch, dump, crane, etc). I checked the reservoir (tank behind the exhaust stack, passenger side) and there was fluid in there so it hadn't dripped dry. The pipe that came off is the one from the pump to the control valve. the control valve has the lines hooked up for feed and return-to-reservoir, but the other two lines that would have gone to a winch are capped off.

I guess my question is, is this normal? Is this something I should be worried about? It seems odd that the military would've installed these parts to it, for it to not be hooked up to anything. I never engaged the control lever in the cab, so it would've never ran dry or thrown oil, so no damage could've been done. The pipe was a PITA to get back on, but it seems secure for the time being...

IMG_3139.jpg

IMG_3140.JPG

(I know she's a little dirty, cleaning and some shiny new parts are in the near future :D everything else on the truck runs great. It was a surprisingly calm 6 hour ride home)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks