• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 upgrade to M925 need advice

tobyS

Ok, compared the one that had a PTO to the one that does not/has not. They have exactly the same frame, with a 3/4" by about 6" relief on the top of the frame. Do you have that same relief (I bet you do)? Looks like at a minimum, the transmission hoses will have to come off, but I bet it can be done without taking the tranny out. Since I haven't done it yet...it's just a guess.

jagman

I currently work in a motorpool and as long as we have funds we can order winches and install on our vehicles. We retrofitted all our deploying vehicles with water fording kits and self recovery wiched because we don't have a mission capable wrecker. One member did state that it changes the type of vehicle and that is true, we are only authorized whatever is on the MTOE but mission needs trumps the MTOE. I hope that helps you out a bit.

tobyS

Jagman, do you install the PTO with the tranny in place in the 929 series? Would mine, which had a PTO but may have been removed during a re-build (assume a different tranny was installed), also have the gear that it mates to? I would think they all do but hate to spend money and find it doesn't. Can you possibly supply a current part number for the PTO? Thanks Toby

jagman

Sorry, I don't know off hand but when my MCS comes back I will ask him. I am commo by trade, just try and help out where I can. We have mostly RSV's and LMTV's.

jedawson1

Well if the military does it then I have no problem doing it. I wonder if I can find a blank data plate for an M925 and stamp my trucks serial # on it so everything matches.

My truck is registered as a cargo truck so as long as my registration serial # is the same my local county wouldn't know the difference. They didn't document the M923 part nor the data plate info.

jedawson1

Had my helper working on removing the PTO, he was able to remove it and get it moved to the other truck without shifting or removing the transmission. Said it was a pain but overall worth it to not remove the transmission. Both the 923 and the 925 have the 6" relief in the frame, if you stick your head under the passenger door and look at the frame & transmission near where your feet would sit in the cab, you can see the relief cut and the PTO cover on the transmission.

I took the truck to a local shop with a forklift to move the winch assembly, bumper, and frame extensions all together quickly and easily. We were a few holes short for the frame extension on my 923 but that was easy to take care of. One of the winch control cables was worn almost through from rubbing on the muffler bracket. Glad we found this, would not be fun if it broke when stuck in the field.

Now to find a M925 data plate blank so that I can have the correct data plate and serial #'s.

jedawson1

School year starts August 8th, I'll be driving it to pick up my boy every other week.
I've got a spare m923 that's a good runner I'll be selling soon cheap if you know any friends looking for one.

Rifleman

I have seen blank data plates for the M925 on sale on some of the vendor sites. Now as another member stated if it were me i would leave the original data plate in place, the reason for that is the data plate on our trucks is kind of like the vin tag mounted on top of your dash on your pickup truck. The county mounties along with the fed's kind of take a very dim view of anybody messing with vin tags, but if you do it i would make sure the numbers you stamp in it matches your frame numbers being C523 not C525 just as the other member said.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks