• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 easy way to put a lock on the park brake?

kingzilla

A few times I have had the truck messed with and I am afraid they will release the park brake. Anyone have a easy solution to putting a lock on the brake?

thank you
seth

dmetalmiki

I don't know the placement of the handbrake on your particular truck, But on my deuces and 5 tons the (extended) security chain runs around the handbrake and then locks up onto the steering wheel.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Leave the front red gladhand open. Then it won't matter where the parking brake handle is because there will not be any air in the system to release the spring brakes.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Leave the front red gladhand open. Then it won't matter where the parking brake handle is because there will not be any air in the system to release the spring brakes.
That is true but then they could push in the "Spring Brake Override" button and have a rolling vehicle with no brakes.:shock:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Leave all the drain valves open on the passenger side step. All 4 tanks will be drained. Then it won't matter is the handle is kicked down or not.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I will find a pic of the setup I did for a guy who was afraid his grand kids would kick his and disengage it. It involved a 1/4" piece of steel welded to the rear cab support coming out towards the brake with a 3/8" hole drilled in it. and it had a 1/4" horseshoe piece of metal on the other end with two 3/8" holes in it. It was made so he could slip a lock thru all 3 holes and it would prevent it from going down.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is true but then they could push in the "Spring Brake Override" button and have a rolling vehicle with no brakes.:shock:
Leave all the drain valves open on the passenger side step. All 4 tanks will be drained. Then it won't matter is the handle is kicked down or not.
The more I think about this, what I said may not be entirely true. It is possible (I did not confirm) that the emergency gladhand at the front will only drain the wet tank and leave the others full. This may allow for the spring brake override to still function.

Swamp Donkey's solution is better. Open all the drains and ensure that there is no air in the truck at all. Then one could be sure that the spring brake override button would not disengage the spring brakes.

Stein12501

I'm interested in doing something because this happened to me. I was helping the grandson down from the cab and his foot hit the brake handle. Rolled 3 foot down to the block next to my building and stopped. Scared the crap out of me. It would be nice if there were something similar to the locking E brake on the HMMWV's. Wheel chocks actually are the best way to keep this from happening.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When there's gonna be kids in the cab and not me, wheels get chocked and the tanks get drained.

I'd close the valves when the tanks are empty though. Keep ambient air out.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The more I think about this, what I said may not be entirely true. It is possible (I did not confirm) that the emergency gladhand at the front will only drain the wet tank and leave the others full. This may allow for the spring brake override to still function.

Swamp Donkey's solution is better. Open all the drains and ensure that there is no air in the truck at all. Then one could be sure that the spring brake override button would not disengage the spring brakes.

Yes, Both E gladhands are connected to the wet tank. There are check valves between the primary and secondary tanks and the wet tank so they wont empty. Open all the drain ports and call it good.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Other way you can do it is. Put a eyelit from a hasp lock and screw it onto the cab on that brace. Then run a eyelit or hook turnbuckle out towards your Brake handle. and if the hook in will go around the handle then tighten it down to it or you can also use a carabineer or snap lock to slip over the handle and tighten the turn buckle down. This way it can be removed when you are driving and wont rattle. I can work one up if pics would help. It would cost you under $20 to make it work.

Attachments

acme66

I think you are all over thinking this. Pipe that slips over P-Brake handle about 8 inches long with chain loop welded on in center. Tab under Seat belt mount with length of chain welded on. Padlock chain to pipe. Chain isn't long enough to slip pipe up and off handle, handle can not be released. No waiting for air drain/build if you are just parked someplace quick. Had my son kick off the p-brake by accident, made me REAL conscious of always chocking the wheels. If I hadn't been standing next to the running board at the time I would have lost the truck and maybe him over a bank and into a pond.

Ken

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks