• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 fumoto oil drain plug

Plane Fast

...Update.... Looks like the FG7BN would be too big at 22mm.

From other members it looks like the F-104N would be the correct one.image.jpg

Hey, does anyone know if this is the right Fumoto valve for a 8.3l?
Model FG7BN

Thanks

Last edited:

MtnSnow

I used the Fumoto F-104N in both of my 8.3l trucks and love them.

The stock Drain plug is a M18x1.5 thread.

Last edited:

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Best decision I ever made on my 06 Ram, even had the service tech at my 135k mi service chuckle when I showed him.

74M35A2

Looks really handy in that you can attach a hose to the end, vs guessing where the arc of the oil drain geyser is going to hit at first, and then moving as it drains and slows down. To keep clean is fabulous, like sucking the oil out through the dip stick on my inboard boat (only way to do it on most inboards). For on-road, fabulous. Would you guys trust this thing off road? I just have an image of a log sliding along the bottom of the oil pan and shearing this thing off, then knock knock, who's there? Maybe those that are using this, don't go off-road to that extent. There is a reason these are not original equipment on engines.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On my dodge it's tucked up a bit, It could get dislodged but I would probably have other damage to the truck that would outweigh/negate it.

MtnSnow

I off-road and haven't worried about it as the drain plug is higher than the axles and air lines going to the LQ2 brake limiting valve that is on the plate just forward of the axles so I haven't had worries. Now if your doing nothing but really hard core off-roading like you would want to do in a purpose built rock crawler buggy then yeah I probably wouldn't have a fumoto valve but then again I would have armor plating totally covering the bottom on the engine..

74M35A2

Good points. Based on that, I just ordered one. Hope the posted p/n is correct, but looks to be. Says fits C series Cummins engines, which says 8.3.

MtnSnow

If you have the 8.3L motor then the part number I posted is the correct one for our engines as like I said they are in use on both of my trucks as I double checked it against the order I had placed for them originally.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The drain valve "looks" nice, BUT one piece of heavy trash that gets run over on the highway and gets flung up and hits the drain valve and even just cracks it let alone knocking it off, when the oil pressure drops out of sight WILL be the first indication of something is wrong, the knock will be the second indication.

To me the risk is not worth the ease of draining the oil, the cost of a new engine needs to be added to the $25 trick drain plug, all of a sudden the drain valve is NO LONGER $25, Though maybe the new drain hole that may develop WILL help to drain what oil is left, The KGR stepped in and deleted the rest of my thoughts on this.

ca1517

I would think that something that would damage the valve would probably crack the oil pan as well. Have you ever seen one of these valves in person? They come stock on a lot of brand new Caterpillar heavy equipment, I would be inclined to believe that if they have faith in them, that I could as well, and yes, I do have one myself.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would think that something that would damage the valve would probably crack the oil pan as well. Have you ever seen one of these valves in person? They come stock on a lot of brand new Caterpillar heavy equipment, I would be inclined to believe that if they have faith in them, that I could as well, and yes, I do have one myself.
I'm willing to bet CAT put a skid plate on to protect them.

Plane Fast

I've had these on 8 different vehicles, 100's of 1000's of miles without issue. (Many of them used for off-roading) For the M923a2 something would have to get over the front axle and make a turn to get to it. As much as we drive these. You would have better odds at the billion dollar power ball, then getting it knocked off! The air lines are far more likely to get damaged. **** your more likely to have a steer tire blowout..

I would say, if I was using this as a logging truck. (Especially if it's on the front line) I would think about a few skid plates.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks