• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 Title and Registration in Illinois

Boi

Hello,

Has anyone else had success in titling and registering an M923A2 in Illinois? (Former Military Vehicle registration -- Original Military (OM) Plates)

I have a 1991 BMY-Harsco M923A2 and this one lady at the Secretary of State (SOS) is giving me a hard-time regarding titling of the vehicle. Specifically, she is claiming that the vehicle is in non-compliance with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) due to the short VIN and that she "saw a picture of the vehicle" and thinks it isn't road-legal. The document I received from the SOS states that I need to submit a photograph of an FMVSS sticker. I am aware that the vehicle has a data-plate in the cab with all the information on the truck- type, manufacturer, date of manufacture, VIN, GVWR, and load per axle, as required by the FMVSS. However, I don't know if she will be satisfied with that. In doing some research I have found that FMVSS does not apply to military vehicles as per 49 CFR 571.7.

49 CFR 571.7 -- Applicability:
(c) Military vehicles. No standard applies to a vehicle or item of
equipment manufactured for, and sold directly to, the Armed Forces of the
United States in conformity with contractual specifications.
This means that the FMVSS standards do not apply to military vehicles, but it is found in MIL-STD-1180B "Safety Standards for Military Ground Vehicles" that these contractual specifications adhere to the FMVSS as outlined in 49 CFR Part 571 Subpart B -- Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (§§ 571.101 - 571.500).

Another item is that the vehicle is already 25 years old and is considered an antique and exempt from FMVSS due to its age.

At this point I have some flak to throw their way, especially with MIL-STD-1180B, but I was wondering if anyone has had success before and whether or not items listed above were necessary in getting the vehicle titled and registered. Any input/comment is also greatly appreciated.

EO2NMCB

You want to get ahold of Dan McGraft in the SOS office in Springfield. He's helped me a couple of time with title issues and the former military vehicle license plates. Dan is great up work with.

Boi

Great, thank you. The woman at SOS has yet to return my call, but when I get in touch with her I will first try employing the document and laws. If she still does not help, I will give Dan a call and see what he can do. I will report on my results.

Boi

UPDATE:

After sending the woman at SOS the military standard document and disputing her erroneous claims by citing applicable statutes, I was given the green-light to get a title and registration for the vehicle. I have resubmitted the paperwork and should see a shiny new set of OM plates in a month or two.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks