• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 White smoke issue

Katavic918

I am in the process of buying an M923A2 with an 8.3 in it. Everything looks good except when it starts there is a ton of white smoke (fuel not coolant). This will continue for about 5 minutes and then will start to slowly reduce. Once the motor is warmed up it still has a haze to it but the weird thing is it will almost go away between 900 and 1600 rpm. Anything above or below that and it will start to smoke again. BTW, this is without driving the truck and warming it up at a fast idle. I have replaced the fuel filter but that's as far as I have gotten. I'm hoping it's injectors and nothing more serious. Does this sound familiar to anyone. Oh, also want to mention that it has IP150 written on the door in marker. Thanks for any help.

snowtrac nome

Usually its just injectors, but it also could be retarded timing, especially if the pump looks like it had been changed. One other thing could be air in the system, but on the c series if it has any leakage in the supply system you will usually not start with out bleeding the system.

Katavic918

Thanks for the quick reply. All I know is the motor was replaced or rebuild by the military in 2009. (pretty much a crapshoot I know). The pump looks like it has never been removed.

snowtrac nome

If it was rebuilt at a depot facility, it should have been ran on a dyno to prove hp and check for mistakes, if it was bought through a contractor who knows. most likely it just needs a set of nozzles or a check and adjustment of timing.

Katavic918

Haven't checked the history but from what I can tell it had a turret mounted which could suggest deployment. Also it had a bottle of window cleaner from a manufacturer in Kuwait.

Lukes_deuce

As you stated, if the smoke is unburnt fuel, try isolating each injector when running to see if there is one culprit. Could be one lazy injector when cold. Im pretty sure I have a lazy injector but its a dark gray color. It does go away once warmed up. If any engine sits for a long time, all sorts of weird things can happen.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks