• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925-A2 RV conversion.

tonyf84

My dream truck is an M925A2 and I want to build an enclosed trailer on the back and convert it to an RV/bug out vehicle. That would be such fun. I was working on the plans and trying to figure out how much it would cost and I decided to look into fuel economy. I wasn't quite prepared to learn it would cost me over $4000 to drive it from Dallas to Seattle and back. That has put a damper on things. I really want to do this project. Is there something I can do to improve fuel economy? Is there a more efficient engine I can put in it? Or perhaps there's just a better truck to base it on? I'm a complete noob so be gentle please.

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might want to look at other options closer to you. There are a lot of trucks on auction right now that are closer that would still work just as good. Or look at other alternatives like a M109A3 with the box all ready installed. All you would need is some inside modifications and you could be set. It just depends on your budget and what you needs and wants are.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Tactical military vehicles were built to haul a variety of cargo, and sometimes troops, over various types of terrain under all kinds of conditions at slow to medium speeds while being operated by young soldiers that may or may not be interested in maintaining them. They do not make good over the road commercial vehicles or recreational vehicles except under certain conditions. I drive my M927A2 on one long trip per year and that about does it for me (pulling a 34 foot van trailer on a tow dolly). I don't worry about fuel mileage....when I do I'll buy a Prius.

tonyf84

muthkw25, Thanks for the suggestion. How much does an M109A3 usually go for at auction? Also, I think you misunderstood. I'm not driving that trip to pick up a truck, I've got family up there and I was kinda judging the usefullness based on if I could use it to drive up there with it or not. At $4k, I'd say NOT. It's worth it to drive down to the coast for $600 round trip, but not halfway across the country.

machinist75, I've never driven an military vehicle, so I guess I hadn't given it thought as to how rough the ride may be. Thanks for the insight. I figured the newer trucks might be better.

wreckerman893, It's a good point that they were designed to haul heavy cargo, but that's kindof what I'm doing right? Building an RV out of it and all. That's why I wanted it, for the suspension and ability to traverse rough terrain. I like to camp in unforgiving areas.

quickfarms, stated fuel data from TM 11240-15/4B (81 gallon tank, 350 mile range) and a presumed price per gallon of diesel of $4, and a distance of 2137 miles.

Hawssie

The problem is like wreckerman said is that military trucks have everything going against them for fuel mileage. The are heavy for their load capacity, they are geared wrong for fuel mileage, they have no aerodynamics, they have large rolling mass with the tires, and they use a lot of energy just to turn the drivetrain, look at the transfer case it isn't even a through drive so you have a set of gears just to drop down to axle level. And no locking hubs here. And the automatic in general isn't as good on fuel as a typical 10 speed. And it doesn't have an overdrive. In the case of M939s you cant even unlock the middle axle. If you compared a medium duty 3 axle tractor to a M931A2 the later is going to weigh about 40 percent more and tow less. Thats why we love them. But even with all of that the A2s arent really that bad on fuel compared to other 5 ton and ups.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks