• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925 or M923 for dump conversion?

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been watching auctions for a cargo truck but I can't decide which one would be the best option, the M923 or the M925. My plan is to eventually modify the truck to have a dump bed for light rock, dirt and wood hauling. For those of you who have done this conversion, which model makes this conversion easier? Does the M925 make it easier since it appears to have hydraulics already onboard? What are your thoughts?

I think it'll depend on how often you need it, and amount of material you plan on moving with it. If you want to move alot as quickly as possible, and be able to do it consistently, Then I would recommend a pto driven pump with heavy duty hoist under the bed like the set up I got on my m925a1. If you plan on occasionally moving a pile of something every once in a while, and remember not to over load the hoist. Them a hoist with an electric pump might be for you.

To increase the amount I can haul with my m925a1, I used the metal uprights from the troop seats that came with the truck. Replaced the fiber cross pieces with 3 2x12s bolted to the uprights and a top hinged tailgate. If I fill it even with the sides, it measures out to 10 sq. yds. If I heap it, I can get 12-13 yds on it. I run out of room on the truck before I run out the trucks ability to haul the weight. Mind you this is offroad hauling short distances. If I need to do any hauling on the road, the most I'll put is around 8 yds to be safe.

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been looking at the coversion that C&C offers
I have been looking at some of the other posts about dump conversions and I think I have looked at C&C but I will check them out again.

I think it'll depend on how often you need it, and amount of material you plan on moving with it.
I probably won't use the dump that often but I can see where it would be nice to have if I need it. I sometimes have the need to move dirt or rocks and it would also come in handy for wood and or logs. Might as well take advantage of the truck right?

Do you happen to have any info on your setup Tiny?

dilligaf13

M923 and M925 are the same truck, except that the M925 has a hydraulic winch. Due to this fact the M925 is the easier truck to convert to a dump bed, down the road. Bigger choice is A1 or A2 and that will depend on your personal preferences...

It is a heil sub frame hoist. Right now I'm using the winch valve to control it. Only problem is since it is an open center valve, once you release the control lever, the bed will automatically lower. Adding a second closed center valve to better control the hoist are currently in the works.

charger53

Another consideration for me was if I want to add hydraulic accessories in the future I can do that with a PTO mounted pump, possibly a knuckle boom or lift of some sort. Depending on how you plan to use your truck in the future there are a ton of opportunities for upgrades available.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another consideration for me was if I want to add hydraulic accessories in the future I can do that with a PTO mounted pump, possibly a knuckle boom or lift of some sort. Depending on how you plan to use your truck in the future there are a ton of opportunities for upgrades available.
Depending on what you plan to add you may need to add a larger hydraulic oil tank also.

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know exactly how the PTO works on the 925 so forgive me if this is a dumb question but how does it work and how can it help me with a dump bed conversion? Am I correct to assume the winch runs off of a hydraulic pump that is engaged by one of the levers for the pto in the cab? Can this same pump be tapped into and used for the dump bed cylinder?

charger53

The PTO is attached to the transmission. It is a gear drive that has a shaft to the hydraulic pump. One lever in the cab (or cable) engages and disengages the PTO. The other lever controls a hydraulic valve that is pressurized by the fluid coming from the pump. The valve for the wench is "open" when in the centered position allowing fluid to flow back to the tank, so if used for a dump it will also allow the box to come down in the centered position. The better option is a dump valve that is closed when in the center or neutral position that will hold the box up or in the position you want it in and release the fluid allowing the box to come down when in the rear position. This will allow you better control and more safety when dumping. The pump can be tapped into for use with any hydraulic accessory including a dump. As stated above you may need a larger fluid tank for bigger capacity hydraulics, but the pump remains the same. The PTO / pump combination replaces the electric pump unit used in the C&C kit. If you are just looking for dump capability to use occasionally the C&C kit cant be beat. It will be a bit slower than the PTO type, but ease of installation and simplicity of the system with a fair price make for a very attractive set up.

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the explanation Charger. I would have to agree, the C & C kit may be my best option assuming I can come up with a truck at some point!

For those of you who have the C & C kit, how do you control it? Do you have a hand held remote in the cab?

I am not worried much about the speed it dumps, anything is better than what I have now! It will only be used occasionally but I do tend to try to push my equipment to the limit. The C & C website says on a 5 ton though their kit will dump 15k lbs which is probably more than the bed can hold anyway so I shouldn't have any issues.

R Racing

A company I use to work for got in a C&C kit about a year ago for a customer . They called it a light weight kit and recommended I didn't install it on my truck. They said it would work ok for light stuff . but said A full bed of sand, rock or clay would not cut the mustard. That company has built truck beds and Dumps since 1936 Family owned). So I trust them.

Remember that the farther forward you mount the hoist, the more it can lift. But at a decreased dump angle, especially on a 14 ft. Bed.

I have a m931 that I plan to Bob in the near future. I plan to put a 8-10 ft bed on it. My brother has a f350 with a 10 ft dump on it. The truck and bed are rusted out but the hoist and 12v pump are good. Plan to put the hoist under the bed of the bobbed m931 to use on smaller jobs. I know the hoist has dumped 2-3 yds of stone before, so not worried about it on the m931.

Artgtr

Doing research on this looking at kits on EBay PH516 is the 8 ton kit & PH520 is the 10 ton kit. The kits run $1500.+ to $1800.+ - seem fairly easy to install - I have M923A with a 14’ bed. Would like to have appear as close to stock & not really obvious a dump truck. Historic plates & insurance - only use once in a while. For my home use.
curious if the 10 ton kit is physically much larger than the 8 ton kit? Looked at video’s & pictures on eBay - a few trucks shown appear to have the 8 ton kit installed.8262A011-E32F-46C5-9D49-6ACC42A00313.pngAE49C6D6-C82E-4600-A716-8967D2DF124D.jpeg

Artgtr

I did notice that in these pictures the hoist is mounted on cross member between rear wheel pivot point - which is like 7’6” +/- / this would give you a dumping angle of over 50 degrees maybe closer to 60 degrees. I think this gives a steeper dump but at a loss of lifting capabilities. Bit again with the shallow bed of a M923A is the 8 ton kit more than would be needed. & is the PH520 -10 ton kit way overkill?

Artgtr

[/URL]

This is my conversation. I have to recommend the m925. The hydraulics are fast and strong. Pump is rated 30pgm at 3000psi. Run any hoist youd ever want.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Couldn’t open link - I already own a M923A - so that is what I’m working with. I do notice with these a EBay kits - I don’t see any bearings @ the hinge points of hoist or rear hinge. I realize these are cheap kits for light use - maybe equal to low end dump trailers. But better than shoveling off by hand any day of the week.
the shallow sides of the M923A - probly only be able to carry about 5 tons of like item 4 Anyway. Do you have an idea of what your conversion is rated at 8 ton or 10 ton or more? i Would like to see your conversion, but the link here wouldn’t open it. I don’t know why.

Couldn’t open link - I already own a M923A - so that is what I’m working with. I do notice with these a EBay kits - I don’t see any bearings @ the hinge points of hoist or rear hinge. I realize these are cheap kits for light use - maybe equal to low end dump trailers. But better than shoveling off by hand any day of the week.
the shallow sides of the M923A - probly only be able to carry about 5 tons of like item 4 Anyway. Do you have an idea of what your conversion is rated at 8 ton or 10 ton or more? i Would like to see your conversion, but the link here wouldn’t open it. I don’t know why.
I'm not sure why it wont open. Maybe I didnt share it right. I can tell you I've carried and successfully dumped over 16 tons. Hauled it from an hour away. Tires were warm when I got there. Otherwise no issues. I pretty regularly run around 50 to 60k total weight sometimes truck only sometimes truck and trailer. I think in Michigan depending on how I load it. I can legally scale 52k. If I can get enough weight on the front axle. I kinda want to move my tandem back but it already takes 40 acres to turn so I haven't gotten real excited about itIMG_20200403_200535.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doing research on this looking at kits on EBay PH516 is the 8 ton kit & PH520 is the 10 ton kit. The kits run $1500.+ to $1800.+ - seem fairly easy to install - I have M923A with a 14’ bed. Would like to have appear as close to stock & not really obvious a dump truck. Historic plates & insurance - only use once in a while. For my home use.
curious if the 10 ton kit is physically much larger than the 8 ton kit? Looked at video’s & pictures on eBay - a few trucks shown appear to have the 8 ton kit installed.
IMG_9008.pngPH516
IMG_9009.pngPH520
I would go as big as you can afford. I think farmerboys was comparable to a 630.IMG_9012.pngPH630.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks