• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925A2 Dump Conversion, Alternate Style Cylinder Mechanism(s)?

74M35A2

Happy New Year all. In wanting to add a dump conversion to my M925A2, I was ready to pull the trigger on one of the C&C scissor kits, but I have just seen too many complaints of slow speed and disappointment in lift capability. Also, WildChild467 pointed out to me that the scissor mechanism, when collapsed, will hang down in between the frame rails, and that may interfere with axle articulation at max travel, which I don't want to reduce the capability of the suspension.

So, on a new path, my rollback tow truck uses twin hydraulic cylinders mounted just outboard of the frame. I see medium/large Volvo dump trucks do the same, and does not look like telescopic cylinders either. So considering this, it seems one could fab their own dump kit with 2 cylinders (maybe even one if the cylinder bore and supporting structures were large enough) and a bed hinge kit (add onto 925 hydraulic system). Sounds low cost to me, and I can fab up any required cylinder mounts and bed gussets.

I did find one like this that was added to what seems like an M35A2. This in inboard of the frame rails, but there could be advantages there if there is clearance. Pic below. No scissor mechanism at all, which is what I am now after.

Does anybody have a setup like this, and if so, what cylinder bore/length is being used? Probably easiest to say use the longest you can package in the area, and the further forward the bed mount, the more lift capacity it will have, but longer stroke required.

Just looking for a starting point if anybody has any leads on going with this style.

DSCN0033.jpg

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could you get a scissor from a M929 or M930 dump truck? It has a shorter wheelbase than the M925 but maybe that scissor would work? I think some of them have some kind of design that allows for more mechanical advantage from the bottom so it can lift the load easier. It would be like a "mechanical 2-stage" lift. Maybe somebody can clear me up if I am wrong. Seems like I remember seeing rollers or something on those scissors that allowed them to have a strong lift.

74M35A2

Could you get a scissor from a M929 or M930 dump truck? It has a shorter wheelbase than the M925 but maybe that scissor would work? I think some of them have some kind of design that allows for more mechanical advantage from the bottom so it can lift the load easier. It would be like a "mechanical 2-stage" lift. Maybe somebody can clear me up if I am wrong. Seems like I remember seeing rollers or something on those scissors that allowed them to have a strong lift.
That would work, but I think the dumps themselves are rare, and then to find somebody parting one out, even more rare. The pivoting roller mech is a mechanical leverage adder for the first few inches of cylinder travel, as the cylinders are sitting almost flat and the vertical push up on the bed is almost zero when they are completely closed/flat.

Probably cheaper to do 2 new aftermarket cylinders at a slightly more inclined angle like the pic I showed. But, yes, same idea, which is not a scissor mech.

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
..........it seems one could fab their own dump kit with 2 cylinders (maybe even one if the cylinder bore and supporting structures were large enough) and a bed hinge kit.....................................
Done it 2x, but for a M35 only (see it here...)

Not so sure if after all necessary reinforcements this route would still be cheaper than using a commercial scissor set-up (like nicely shown here by The Buggyman, or by Bjmca in this thread)

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks