• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M931A2 Questions

Steelreaper80

I am getting the itch to buy a M931A2. Does anyone know the towing specs on this truck and will civilian trailers mate up with it? I need a lowboy 40 foot trailer behind it. Thanks guys.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I am getting the itch to buy a M931A2. Does anyone know the towing specs on this truck and will civilian trailers mate up with it? I need a lowboy 40 foot trailer behind it. Thanks guys.
They are too tall as they sit. Swap the plate for a civilian unit and it will help some. My log customers swap the plate and chop the rear of it more sloped so its easier to drop the trailers for the shorter trucks. They pull 60k regularly.

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M931 military 5th wheel will mate to a civilian trailer, but as Simp stated above, it is unnecessarily tall for a civilian application unless you actually need the military two-way tilt feature for serious rough terrain hauling.
Pretty unlikely in most scenarios for most of us, so it ends up locked out and only serving to stick the nose of your trailer eight or so inches higher in the air.

The frame on the 931 is the same width as a civilian tractor, so swapping the 5th wheel is usually a bolt-on affair (though you may have to add a few holes!).
I put a Fontaine slider on one of my 931s, and if I recall correctly something like 70% of the existing 931 holes lined up with the 'new' mount.

The swap lowered the nose height of my M129A4 trailer from 13'9" to a hair under 13'1", which made me considerably less stressed hauling that one about!

The other advantage of the lowered plate height was that slight change in angle can make the difference between 14.00s (as mine has) clearing the trailer landing gear in all situations, and not.
On the military plate, my M128 could just catch a tire tread edge under the right circumstances, like turning right into a slightly ramped Walmart parking lot driveway (don't ask me how I found this out, but the foot will bend. :(). I had to strap the tilting feet back when I hauled that trailer until I put the lower civvy hitch on. Just that lowering changed the angle enough to give clearance for the gear, it can no longer touch the tire tread under similar circumstances.
Very helpful if your trailer feet don't have a tilt capacity!

Cheers

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks