• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936 Wrecker Boom - Replacement Winch Cable - What about Stainless Cable?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Already did that for that reason.

Iv looked at swaged cable, but im also looking at synthetic
We are having a bunch of utility pole construction around here - and I always get GooGooEyed looking at the pole trucks. All of them have synthetic on their boom winch. It appears to be one inch Sampson Rope but that is just a guess... The difference though in that is that they lift poles and transformers. Mostly in the thousand to two thousand pound range.

I know reading the wire rope vs synthetic specifications says the wire won't carry as much weight...
Wire isn't as easily damaged and sunlight deterioration is a real posssibility with synthetic...

charlesmann

I use swage 3/4 to 5/8" cable and it will lay out flat all day while paying out cable. It does not snake up
what about rotation resistant rope? Its break strength is just above that of the winch capacity. there is 5/8" also but figured the 9/16" would work too. As for the 3/4", i don't use the rear winch since its a 2 person job to pay it out, and actually thinking about just removing the drag winch and putting a front in its place. https://www.bluejayindustrial.com/w...ant/916-inch-19x7-wc-black-rotation-resistant

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I
what about rotation resistant rope? Its break strength is just above that of the winch capacity. there is 5/8" also but figured the 9/16" would work too. As for the 3/4", i don't use the rear winch since its a 2 person job to pay it out, and actually thinking about just removing the drag winch and putting a front in its place. https://www.bluejayindustrial.com/w...ant/916-inch-19x7-wc-black-rotation-resistant
I don't want synthetic anywhere near anything I am doing lifting with being that gabbing trees, junk parts, trucks, etc it is easy to get snagged on stuff. I'm rough on my wrecker. Mine picked up the rear of a D5 today, and the front of a HET to work on things. I only use good strong cable I can replace if I need to for not much money and can get it the same day if need be.

5/8 swage is rated at 50k

Rear winch can be a single person operation for about $250 you just need a electric over hydraulic solenoid, manifold and a wireless winch remote. That yuken valve half half inch ports you could get away with 3/4 ports, or 7/8 for the rear winch

This can be done on the front winch as well.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks