• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936a2 Chassis Dump Trailer

hirollin87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 936a2 chassis and have thought about making a dump trailer out of it. My thoughts were to remove the front axle, put a 2 inch kingpin off the front, and find me a used 20 foot+ bed w cylinder. I would have the rear axles, brakes, and suspension already there. I have 1400s on them now but might would put the 22.5s off my 916a1 on it. What are your thoughts and has someone done this already and how did it turn out. I know I could buy a used trailer but I have this chassis sitting there and with the cost of a used bed and some fab work I can have a dump trailer. Will the chassis be able to haul 40k pounds safely? I know the wrecker weighs 36k and payload is 7k. What are your thoughts? Thanks

tobyS

I have made trailers from truck rear ends on a smaller scale and they work just fine. I'd keep it as long as possible to have leverage in a turn. A 20' bed would haul a lot, but is the frame longer?

Here is an idea..... make a semi tractor 5th wheel mount off the full length frame.

I'm doing something similar with the bed from an M35A3 but using Dexter axles and the lunette/tongue/front frame from an M105 (picture of frame coming together, just made heavy equalizers) .

Keep the 14.00. There are a lot of 50% tires cheap or you can readily go to 395's.

I'd remove the axles and make covers, not turn them needlessly.

I have a 5 extension telescoping cylinder with about 280" of travel that I planned on using for a dump trailer, but now want a smaller one, should you want one.

Attachments

Last edited:

red

The wrecker chassis and suspension will handle the weight fine. It's truck weight with tools/gear is roughly 40k plus officially up to 20k on the hook when lift towing. Gonna need a tag axle to make DOT happy with that much weight.

I cut this one up but that was the plan with this m51a2 dump truck chassis.

IMG_20170603_152529918_HDR.jpg IMG_20170603_150000374.jpg

charlesmann

What about hydraulic hook ups for the dump system? Tee off the front winch pto and plumb in the cab with a spool valve then out the back near the pintle?

I was thinking of buying dump pup trailer and using that for small loads of rock and pull with my a2 wrecker.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks