• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 engine swap to NTC-300?

jdknech

It's starting to sound like doing a small cam to small cam swap would be easist. I have been researching the small cam, and it looks like it can be turned up to around 400hp without to much trouble. (A civy moter with piston coolers) I have a chance to buy 3 small cams for under $1k all 315hp versions 1 running, 2 are not, but are all there.. Kinda sounding like this is the way to go.. I'm just looking to not drop to 20mph on the interstate when pulling a trailer up a grade...lol

Last edited:

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Allison transmission in 939 series is rated for 300 HP. You can probably apply more to it if you are careful and not have a failure.

Stevepala

I might be able to help with this, there is a guy near me that is parting a few m920's. I'll see if I can snap some pics of the front mount..
I did some research and the tractors with big cam motor, m916 or m920, have the same type of mount used in most OTR trucks such as a KenWorth 900 series which I'm using. Regardless it's all going together well, but not a simple removal and reinstall project. Will the trannie like the extra power, not likely but when it breaks that will be the next project. The issue there is the lack of space between the bell housing and transfer case. To swap to a stronger trannie will it be to long. I was thinking about the 16 speed semi auto cat trannie used in the m916. Wait and see what happens.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks