• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 series 5 ton, aftermarket air filter

yaymcnatt

nhc 250 wanting to remove current air filter box (from under drivers door) and remove all piping and just install a K&n style cone filter under the hood connected directly to the intake. will the filter collapse? has anyone done this? any help is appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:

Vintage iron

You would need to match the flow rate. It will be hard to find a cone filter that can flow those numbers and you would be sucking in hot air.

Dead Reckoning

I have a 4" steel tube with 2-90 degree rubber elbows culminating in a larger 4" K&N style filter. It draws air from between the inner fender and the radiator shroud. So the air is cool. And even with the fuel rate turned up and full boost it does NOT suck in. Sorry I dont have a picture. I will take one if I think about it.

MO MV man

K&N is very forthcoming with flow numbers if you contact them.
They have four 4" inlet filters I've been eyeballing for just such a modification.

Donaldson has a great chart on their site showing airflow requirements for a slew of engines, including the 6CTA. Attached below.

WIX sometimes shows flow numbers for their individual filters, too.

Especially the massive ones that will produce the necessary airflow we'll be looking for.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks