• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M977 HEMTT radiator repair

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys I am one of the biggest users of my TM manuals ever I full sets for all my trucks but find myself looking for more information than I seem to have.
I have a 1988 M977 HEMTT and need to replace the radiator core, besides the 107 bolts holding the tanks onto the core it looks doable but in looking through all my TMs all I can find is cooling system maintenance. I need the TM on replacing the radiator core! Can anybody help me out in finding this information please?
Thanks much
Karl

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m guessing Uncle didn’t replace the core, they supplied an entire new radiator. However on the commercial side, cores are replaced all the time. Suggest you contact a radiator shop that specializes in huge industrial radiators.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with NDT. I was in the trucking industry for years and learned that it turns out best if you let the people that do that for a living do it. They have the means to repair other things that might attention without having to re-install only to find that second, unseen issue and have to remove things again.

Guyfang

Staff member
Back in the day, mid to late 80's, the core was changed. Our D.S. shop did several. They also screwed up, several. And that's the reason later, radiators were a pluck and turn in item. Later, 2020, or 2011 I helped change 4 HEMMT A4's and 2 PLS radiators. As much work as it was, I can not imagine re-coring them. Thea are simply too big and heavy. And easy to damage.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys I am running out of options here concerning my 1988 M977 HEMTT radiator repair, I have found a new core but the seller wants 6200.00 for this core, I understand its brand new but its just to much money. With that said my radiator has about a 4" wide and 1 ft long patch of discoloration at the bottom center of the radiator this is where my leaking is coming from, and its a small leak in about 3 places but nothing more than a few drops a minute all holes combined. I know this isnt the correct way to fix the problem but I need to do something before I dish out way to much money for the correct fix. What radiator stop leak product would you guys use in a situation like this? I have never used one before so I am pretty much going by what you recommend, Thanks much for your thoughts on this subject!
Karl

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Guys I am running out of options here concerning my 1988 M977 HEMTT radiator repair, I have found a new core but the seller wants 6200.00 for this core, I understand its brand new but its just to much money. With that said my radiator has about a 4" wide and 1 ft long patch of discoloration at the bottom center of the radiator this is where my leaking is coming from, and its a small leak in about 3 places but nothing more than a few drops a minute all holes combined. I know this isnt the correct way to fix the problem but I need to do something before I dish out way to much money for the correct fix. What radiator stop leak product would you guys use in a situation like this? I have never used one before so I am pretty much going by what you recommend, Thanks much for your thoughts on this subject!
Karl
I use black pepper.

A radiator shop can't make you a new core? Or was 6200 their quote?

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys I figured out how to repair this radiator, I put it on the bench and pressurized it and found the leak and luckily is was accessible to solder so that repair is done. Now to hot water pressure wash everything down and flush it before it goes back in. I did find a beautiful core for this radiator and it was NOS in the crate for 6200.00

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks