• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M989a1 trailer Davit

Oldfart

Interesting how different the M989 is from the M989a1. Same rated capacity and load purpose, but M989a1 is set up wagon style with steering front wheels and the M989 has a rigid drawbar with the wheels centered under the load. I wonder what the deck height differences are?

IIRC the total redesign was because of the deck height. When pulled behind the HEMTT and carrying MLRS pods the M989 had a tendancy to want to flip over if it hit a bump just right.

Stalwart

BTW, the manual for the M989A1 says the davit is to be taken off the towing HEMTT for use on the trailer. The draw bar is pretty light so I'm just going to make a 2x4 of the correct length for attachment height and then drop the bar manually into the pintle. I may decide to get a self guiding hitch like Jones has on the Baby HEMTT. The manual also shows using a ratchet strap to lift the bar . . .

datadawg

Scorpion is only 8.5 tons, but I MIGHT have to build up the dropped floor a bit to make one fit. Not a big deal.
How would you build up the floor? And what about ramps to get the Scorpion on and off? I am considering getting an 989a1 for towing an uparmored Saracen MK6, which weighs around 11.5 tons. I just don't know if retrofitting the floor is going to be worth the hassle. I would tow with an m923a2. These trailers look like a great deal for the money, but how are guys using them? Has anyone figured out a way to use them for hauling armor??

goldberg1701

A little late to the game, but better late than never. Background, I'm a 13M since 2002 and am retiring this year, and am quite well versed with the equipment. Attached is the pages of the base M985 RPSTL with all part numbers that would be needed for the tire davit. Stalwart is correct, the davit is supposed to come from the prime mover. However, the newer M985A4s no longer have a tire davit to be able to transfer to the trailer, the last version with the davit included was the M985A2.

Hope this helps...6.5 years after the fact.

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
I have gone to the farm and picked up the manual, scanned a few pages that show how the davit is used to lift the tow bar and scanned the title page with the NSN.

There is a section that shows a method of lifting and holding the bar with one of the included cargo straps by attaching the strap to the spare tire bracket and the tow bar. It looks like the davit can also be used to remove the spare tire and lower it to the ground.
You have the whole TM? or just the change.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think we have any of the M985 Tm's on here. Are they public release? If so, Could you upload them to our Tm section?
I think we have both trailers covered already here on ss.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I don't think we have any of the M985 Tm's on here. Are they public release? If so, Could you upload them to our Tm section?
I think we have both trailers covered already here on ss.
I have TM 9-2330-383-14&P but the ability to upload things to the TM section isn't apparently something I am allowed to do.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have TM 9-2330-383-14&P but the ability to upload things to the TM section isn't apparently something I am allowed to do.

I uploaded that one a while ago. I know you have to have a good internet connection for the fat files as some are huge tm's

All members can upload here and a mod will approve and move to the appropriate section though it looks like it is a little behind....

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I uploaded that one a while ago. I know you have to have a good internet connection for the fat files as some are huge tm's

All members can upload here and a mod will approve and move to the appropriate section though it looks like it is a little behind....
Thanks Juan!

Either my account was fouled up - or maybe I was stooopid :) but now it seems that I can upload TM's with no problem. Thanks for the link!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks