• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 2 man troop carrier without the top weighs #5,960 lbs & Springs

kfrosty

Just an FYI for anybody wanting to know the weight. Standard 37" tires, I do have the side rails and benches in the back and two people were in the unit on the scales.

There is an OLD scale house close to the house where you have to weigh on axle at a time. Front was #3,300 & rear was #2,360.

On that note, any recommendations for softer springs. (I don't want to loose any ground clearance but the camber on my rear tires looks like it's setup for a lot of weight. I doubt I'll every haul more than 1,000 lbs in the back if that.)

Thanks

kfrosty

My camber is the same. I hauled 5 tires in the back and that pretty much made things straight. Upgrade to a slant back, that should fix your camber.
:) I'm probably going to keep this one as a 2 man so I can use the bed but just not going to haul that much weight.

DatGuyC

You can try finding m998 front springs and those might work, they are a lower rate. Otherwise you can go to the latter progressive springs that are softer with no weight but compress when you have a load. I think they require different spring perches and lower control arms though.

hummer4x4guy

M998 2 man troop carrier without the top weighs #5,960 lbs & Springs

These trucks in general weren't designed to ride soft. You could adjust your tire pressure. Perhaps that's a bit high. Usually they only have stiffer front springs for installing a snowplow.

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just an FYI for anybody wanting to know the weight. Standard 37" tires, I do have the side rails and benches in the back and two people were in the unit on the scales.

There is an OLD scale house close to the house where you have to weigh on axle at a time. Front was #3,300 & rear was #2,360.

On that note, any recommendations for softer springs. (I don't want to loose any ground clearance but the camber on my rear tires looks like it's setup for a lot of weight. I doubt I'll every haul more than 1,000 lbs in the back if that.)

Thanks
If all you have is a basic m998, you have the softest spring front and rear you can get.
also, you cannot use front springs on the rear....but can use rears on the front, not recommended unless you know what springs you are installing. This is a military vehicle....it was not made for soccer games and commuting, that's what a Prius is for. The only way to change up a bit is shocks or added weight to the truck.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If all you have is a basic m998, you have the softest spring front and rear you can get.
also, you cannot use front springs on the rear....but can use rears on the front, not recommended unless you know what springs you are installing. This is a military vehicle....it was not made for soccer games and commuting, that's what a Prius is for. The only way to change up a bit is shocks or added weight to the truck.
Any idea if the 1038 has a heavier spring rate on the front for the winch? I honestly wouldn't mind the front to sit an 1" higher or so on my truck.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any idea if the 1038 has a heavier spring rate on the front for the winch? I honestly wouldn't mind the front to sit an 1" higher or so on my truck.
the standard front spring is a 954Lb Spring, the next up is the 1250lb Spring and then 1728lb, also referred to as a winch spring.
springs are also identified by a colored tie wrap, in the case of my M1097A2, my fronts have a yellow tie wrap, that denotes to a 954lb spring, which I find odd cuz it's got s Milemarker on it, but then again, I think that was added after the fact. My rears are HD type with casted upper Spring seats.
there are numerous different rear springs as well, heavy duty and variable rate, but be careful on variable rate, you have to use the newer type lower control arms to get the correct seating in the lower Spring seat.

I just added front 2k springs to correct an awful camber issue on a slantback ECV truck...I did the trick, and those Spring are cheap cheap cheap.

Last edited:

DanM7890

So looking at my truck I have this camber issue as well. Almost looks like it was adjusted with more weight on the rear (aka slantback or something else). Are you saying taking the shims out will correct this issue alone, or do I need to preform an actual alignment for the rear wheels.

lgscott3

the standard front spring is a 954Lb Spring, the next up is the 1250lb Spring and then 1728lb, also referred to as a winch spring.
springs are also identified by a colored tie wrap, in the case of my M1097A2, my fronts have a yellow tie wrap, that denotes to a 954lb spring, which I find odd cuz it's got s Milemarker on it, but then again, I think that was added after the fact. My rears are HD type with casted upper Spring seats.
there are numerous different rear springs as well, heavy duty and variable rate, but be careful on variable rate, you have to use the newer type lower control arms to get the correct seating in the lower Spring seat.

I just added front 2k springs to correct an awful camber issue on a slantback ECV truck...I did the trick, and those Spring are cheap cheap cheap.

Resurrecting this a little. I have a 998 4 man soft top. My brother wants to put spacers in the front to lift it up a little. I was thinking it would make more sense to replace the springs with something heavier. Are the 2K springs really rough? I think eventually we want to put maybe a 39" or 40" tire.

Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks