• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 Alternator Help

gokeeper

I just picked up my first M998 and got her home. I noticed the wait to start light just barely flashed and does not stay on. I downloaded all of the TM and started reading all of the threads on these vehicles over the last several days. Been inspecting each parts and checking cleaning grounds, preparing to do normal maintenance etc.

I found the Alternator is not charging, found that it had been replaced somewhat recently. I am assuming a cheap aftermarket Alternator please take a look at the pictures. Can anyone Identify the alternator? In my troubleshooting there is 0 voltage at the alternator since the voltage is fed through the EESS and with the lack of wait light activation I am assuming a bad EESS (Will troubleshoot that more tonight).

I assume the last owner knew it wasn't charging and replaced the Alternator which also didn't work. Main question is has anyone seen this alternator? Second question wire 568 is not connected to the alternator but believe it should be at the top port but without any information on the alternator I cant tell. Second if the EESS is bad can I bypass the EESS just on the batter voltage side to get the alternator charging to test it while I await parts? Looking at the diagrams its possible just questioning weather one should? IMG_1773.jpgIMG_1774.jpgIMG_1775.jpgIMG_1776.jpgIMG_1780.jpgIMG_1782.jpg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks like a fairly high output alternator, it should not have been wired through the EESS box but directly to the batteries, the EESS box is only marginally capable of handling a 60A alternator.
You might want to pop that EESS box open and looksee inside.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks like a prestolite /leece- neville alt. It could be off civilian 24v construction equipment. Is there any other tag or numbers?

gokeeper

I have looked all over it and the small number tag is the only ID I can find. I may try to take it off or take the back cover off and see if there are any markings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
typically the cases are stamped with letters/symbols for the wiring. The smooth post is usually a tach. Prestolite tech support might be willing to help?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter

gokeeper

Well as expected the issue is in the EESS box bad contractor and at least one transistor and 2-3 diodes. Looks like I will be on the hunt for a S3 box. I really appreciate all of the help on this one.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well as expected the issue is in the EESS box bad contractor and at least one transistor and 2-3 diodes. Looks like I will be on the hunt for a S3 box. I really appreciate all of the help on this one.

Yep that one is toast, we have a member that sells a manual box that eliminates the electronic glow plug control for a manual push button control.
Or you can build one yourself if confident in your abilities.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Easy and cheap to repair yours.

Also Camo sells a good unit but he is not the only one who sells the push button units.

Last edited:

gokeeper

Easy and cheap to repair yours.

Also Camo sells a good unit but he is not the only one who sells the push button units.

Thank you for this, I have been studying over it the last couple days.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks