• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 heater duct/tube replacement

Thumper580

Trying to replace the heater duct hose that goes over to the drivers leg area. The one behind the doghouse is good.
Thinking it's torn or damaged. Very little air flow to the drivers side. Passengers side is good. Searched the TM's but did not see anything about replacement of the drivers side duct/hose or how to access it.

Suggestions? Thanks.

Action

Different hoses for different models.
With the pdf of the parts book open, do a search for "diverter". That will take you straight to the defrost hose page.
If you have an older model, the driver floor air passes behind the duct just above the doghouse. There is no hose in there. If you open the driver side dash vent, it will reduce the amount of pressure to the driver feet. The hose behind dash attaches just to the left of the dash vent.
If you have a newer model with a plastic vent by the driver right knee, then the driver heat hose runs directly across the top of the engine.

Thumper580

Different hoses for different models.
With the pdf of the parts book open, do a search for "diverter". That will take you straight to the defrost hose page.
If you have an older model, the driver floor air passes behind the duct just above the doghouse. There is no hose in there. If you open the driver side dash vent, it will reduce the amount of pressure to the driver feet. The hose behind dash attaches just to the left of the dash vent.
If you have a newer model with a plastic vent by the driver right knee, then the driver heat hose runs directly across the top of the engine.
Its a 1986 M998.....

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just replaced the missing heater ducting on the drivers side, but I want to make sure I have everything routed properly.

Does anyone have any pictures of where the duct drops down (aiming toward the floor), and how it's attached (or is it more less just lose)?

The 24P-2 Figure 331 shows a hose clamp on the downward end, but I don't see where it would be attached to.

Also the routing, I have mine routed above the cluster, then it snakes down over the steering wheel, through the hole if the left side and down toward the floor. I suspect that may not be right, but I didn't find any other pictures and it seemed to make sense when I did it. (Also doesn't appear to have anything rubbing on the hose.)

Any pictures would be appreciated, thanks!

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_4919.jpeg
IMG_4920.jpeg
IMG_4918.jpeg
this is the routing I ended up with, but I’m not sure it’s correct. (My HMMWV was complete missing the duct, so I didn’t have anything to go off of)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks