• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 HMMWV engine swap to 6.5 turbo

jdknech

I recently purchased a cherry m998 with a blown 6.2, after much debate I decided to swap it out for a 6.5 turbo motor I had sitting in a van.
Anyone who has done this swap, please shoot me any advice you see fit! I'm not a stickler for originality, but I do like to keep things looking decent

Yesterday I drove the van around town before pulling the engine out, it ran great! Now it's sitting out on the ground waiting for me to get the 6.2 out of the HMMWV
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1474803332.611834.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1474803238.583944.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1474803254.572534.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1474803266.763751.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1474803278.635219.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1474803292.158254.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1474803306.021986.jpg

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Being s civy motor, your gping to need to strip the motor down to a long block and change everything over to mechanical.
unless your going to convert to 12v. That IJ pump might be a DS4, the wastegate is vacuum not mechanical...it's a lengthy list of things to do.

jdknech

Being s civy motor, your gping to need to strip the motor down to a long block and change everything over to mechanical.
unless your going to convert to 12v. That IJ pump might be a DS4, the wastegate is vacuum not mechanical...it's a lengthy list of things to do.
I know you are very knowledgeable about this swap, I will list the things I know that have to be done or that's different
Please add to the list if I missed something!
The IP on the 6.5 is a ds4, the 6.2 has a DB2 that was just installed 3 weeks ago by the previous owner, the DB2 will be swapped over to the 6.5 and the fuel rate bumped up a tad for the turbo

.injection pump and lines swapped from the 6.2, to the 6.5
.wiring harness swapped from 6.2 to 6.5 (possibly will need different harness, unsure at this time)
.body lift 1" to clear turbo
.air pipe from cleaner to turbo is different (ordered one today)
.Engine cover inside is different (sourced one, haven't ordered yet)
.exhaust down pipe from turbo different (have one sourced, have not ordered yet)
.All front brackets and accessories have to be swapped over
.i will be making a mechanical wastegate actuator (I made one for my civy truck and my old m1009 turbo conversion, it works great)

The following is issues I have come across, but haven't figured out yet.

.the kickdown cable originally ran right through the space the turbo will now occupy
(Might be tricky to re-route, but it's doable)
.not sure if I will have to trim the tunnel for any reason, I've heard that you do, and that you don't have to trim it

If I've missed anything, please chime in! I would rather not come across any major surprises!

jdknech

Also forgot to add, I will be installing new glow plugs (15g?) and replacing the pan gasket, and rear main seal before install.. And if I find a AC compressor and mount before install I'll be putting it on as well

Action

I don't see why you wouldn't need to cut the tunnel. When you get the new doghouse put it on, without the engine in. The new opening will be where the bottom of the doghouse sits. You will also need to reinforce the new opening with a lip like the one already there.
There were two different doghouse attachment methods at the top. If yours has 2 dzus fasteners, the new one will fit right in.
You may want to get the entire turbo exhaust system with catalytic converter, or not.
The factory body spacers are more like 1/2" thick. I just measured.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks