• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 Hydraulic Clutch / Shroud Problems 1998 M998 6.2 regular belt driven

Dave2018

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trying to figure out a fan problem. Installed new fan clutch about 1 year ago. Month ago it started extending? out to far and chewed up part of the top of the shroud a couple times. Shroud was undamaged before. The fan blades were not damaged or nicked before this. It caused a little damage to fan blades from shroud but not major. Removed all the radiators again and removed the clutch. Exercised it with air but still only cycling about 1/4" to 3/8" not enough to hit shroud. The clutch seems fine, no leaking and smooth free movement.

Thought maybe a motor mount could possibly broken but they look good as far as I can tell. Motor mount shouldn't cause extension forward just upwards on one side from my past truck experience.

Maybe the possibility the clutch went to far at highway speed but not going out that far any longer ????? would expect it to be showing something ft doing this though;

Was hoping for a quick clutch change out, but at a standstill for now. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Dave
Can text also 832-670-8394

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, a broken motor mount will allow blade contact with the shroud. Also contact will occur if you didn’t adjust the radiator stack and shroud correctly. Normally you will get contact when off road or any sort of body flexing, like going over even a speed bump at an angle.
You will notice that the left and right radiator supports have slotted holes to adjust the radiator upwards and away from the top of the blades on the shroud.

Dave2018

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the reply. I will get it adjusted correctly this time. Rushing on last clutch did not work out.