• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 rough ride

captkennyboy

Quick question i run with a group of HUMVEE owners off road - most M998s and my M998 rides considerable rougher and harder. all the tire pressures are the same around 25 PSI. Did HUMVEEs have different suspensions? Do some have a softer ride?

thanks

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The HMMWV is designed to be heavier. The de-mil process leaves the heavy springs in a vehicle that becomes underweight in may cases.

Makes for a hard ride.

LonWon just swapped new springs and CEPEK shocks. You should watch his thread.

I don't mind a hard ride but I don't crawl. My vehicle also still has a hard-top and a turret with supports and a slant-back, so its a few hundred pounds heavier.

Some have placed bags of sand to weight their vehicles down. When you go crawling, carrying 2 or more large water filled tanks (that are firmly secured) will ensure your hydration while also providing hundreds of pounds of weight. Easy to add and subtract water...easier than sand.

You can also try asking this same question on The Hummer Network H1 and HMMWV forum as there are plenty of guys there who crawl and such.

You can also call Tom Cepek about his suspension parts. He frequently posts and answers questions on The Hummer Network.

Best,

T

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quick question i run with a group of HUMVEE owners off road - most M998s and my M998 rides considerable rougher and harder. all the tire pressures are the same around 25 PSI. Did HUMVEEs have different suspensions? Do some have a softer ride?

thanks
many folks have m1123’s, they all have uparmored spring package...m998’s have the softest spring.
what model do you have.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Military truck plus no load.

Every rig I have owned. M38A1's, M37, M1008, M998 all ride like a buck board wagon.

M1009 was like cloud. Nice on or off the road. Fast, quite, nimble handling, lockable and park-able LOL, best mileage, easy on the pocket book and to work on.

Should have kept it, CAMO

Edis06

well a 998A1 has heavier springs in it, can be variable rate, so it’s either an A1 or it’s an A0.
but an 86 is not an A1, that’s 94
So, the A1 has the heavier springs? I read that the A2 had the heavier springs, however my 1994 A1 looks and feels like the springs are the heaviest, so what you state makes sense. Even the stance of mine is slightly different than the 86 A0 I saw. Mine seems to sit a bit higher with a slight rake. Looks awesome but rides super rough. It's ok though, it doesn't bother me a bit.

papakb

I haven't seen anyone ask what tires are on your 998? Let's not assume they're 37" radials and everybody knows the 36" bias ply tires ride like shit until they round out after half an hour.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks