• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 speed (or lack of it)

Crazyguyla

The military purposely had 6.2l detuned in all new Humvees. Any engine rebuilt by the "prison system" were rebuilt to civilan specifications and had more power. I have had a civilian Hummer up to 115mph, smooth ride... I've had a military 2seater needle splitting the bottom of the speedometer, it was like atmospheric reentry lol

desmodromic

Last night I went and looked at a HMMWV that is for sale. I'd never driven one before, so I don't know what's normal and what's not. The last time I drove anything painted flat green it was an M151 or an M880.

Overall the truck was in pretty good shape. It's an ex KS NG M998, manufactured in 1992 and has about 35K miles on the clock. It looks pretty good and started right up, idled and ran fine. I took it out for a short drive on the gravel road. It seemed to drive OK, but I was unable to get it over 40 MPH. On the way back to the guy's house I had it floored, and the speedo still never got above 40.

Is this normal, or a common sign of a specific problem? Transfer case stuck, air intake blocked, etc... I've already decided that this particular vehicle is not for me -- it has an off-road-only title and I'm not in the mood to try to fix that. Just want to know if it's something easily explained.

I did try cycling the transfer case from HL to H to L. When it was stopped and idling it seemed to shift fine, any other condition it wouldn't. I'm not a 4WD kind of guy, couldn't remember what I had read about a function check, and by then I'd found out about the title so I didn't do any in depth investigation.

In an attempt to counter some of the dbag responses, I will attempt to provide some useful info. As you have surmised, no, 40 MPH is not normal. Your best bet it to buy a humvee with a 6.5L/4L80e combo. The slight bump in HP ( especially from the GEP engines), a fourth gear and park make a world of difference by adding a modicum of civility to these beasts. The USMC humvees sell without off road restrictions and usually have the updated powerpacks. Search for M1045, M1123 etc. on govplanet.com for reference.

Even the 6.2/3 speeds are fun to kick around in.

98G is a great guy and has good insight on the green disease. You should take him up on his offer.

Best of luck in your search.

NormB

The military purposely had 6.2l detuned in all new Humvees. Any engine rebuilt by the "prison system" were rebuilt to civilan specifications and had more power. I have had a civilian Hummer up to 115mph, smooth ride... I've had a military 2seater needle splitting the bottom of the speedometer, it was like atmospheric reentry lol
hmmwv reentry space shuttle.jpg

Last edited:

2wheels70

I drive my m998 almost daily
Yep she's not fast but easily reaches 60mph
I'd say a test drive manually selecting 1-2-3 would tell you for sure if it will be in 3 and unable to reach north of 40 mph then you can proceed or digress accordingly

319cssb

I believe that HMMWV you've been driving had one or more stuck calipers. That would slow down the driving experience a lot. I would have looked for red hot calipers after the drive. If the acceleration was slow , but slow down quickly, when letting go of the accelerator, then you got your answer right there.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe that HMMWV you've been driving had one or more stuck calipers. That would slow down the driving experience a lot. I would have looked for red hot calipers after the drive. If the acceleration was slow , but slow down quickly, when letting go of the accelerator, then you got your answer right there.
+1

Drive it again. Pretend to be inspecting the undercarriage, but really look for a hot caliper. If you find a hot caliper, note the speed limitation and wonder about the engine, let him come down in price, and rebuild the brakes.

Bulldogger

EladB

Thanks for the ideas, but it wasn't a stuck brake. There was no pull to either side, and deceleration was a normal coast down. No hot metal smell after the drive. Stuck brakes are not at all difficult to detect.

I'm assuming it's a problem with either the transmission or the transfer case. Either way -- doesn't matter, this one is not for me (at any price) for other reasons.

319cssb

Thanks for the ideas, but it wasn't a stuck brake. There was no pull to either side, and deceleration was a normal coast down. No hot metal smell after the drive. Stuck brakes are not at all difficult to detect.

I'm assuming it's a problem with either the transmission or the transfer case. Either way -- doesn't matter, this one is not for me (at any price) for other reasons.
There you go. How much was it going to cost anyway?
I may be interested in selling mine to the right person.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks