• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 stalling at highway speeds

FFesco

I’ve had one of my m999 HMMWV’s running great, but the other night it stalled as I was driving on the highway. If I keep it below 30mph on the street, it is fine. If I take it up to 60mph, it will eventually shutoff and roll to a halt, power steering eventually goes as well. I’ll wait a few min and start right back up. Seems like a fuel issue. Any thoughts??

papakb

My recommendation is to change the fuel pump. Here's a link to a perfectly good pump that I've installed in several vehicles without any problems: https://www.carid.com/spectra-premium/mechanical-fuel-pump-mpn-sp1143mp.html?singleid=78059414 Before you start this job pick up the fuel pump mounting plate gasket: http://www.jegs.com/i/Fel-Pro/375/5182/10002/-1 it'll make the job infinitely easier if you remove the plate, remove the pump actuator rod and coat it with bearing grease to hold it up into the block before you put the new pump in. It also helps to remove the right side splash panel so that you can see what your working on.

Unless the filter is really crapped up it shouldn't be the cause of your stalling but if you pull it for inspection and it is filthy you might want to drain the tank and see what comes out. There are a couple of threads on priming the fuel system you should brush up in before starting the job too.

Last edited:

tage

Fuel pump is mechanical. One would do a flow and pressure test before replacement.
Replace the fuel filter and report back....

Have you been running a winter blend of bio diesel/reg diesel? That will clog a previously clean filter rather quick

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My guess is the pickup in the tank or something in the tank sucking up against the pickup. If the new fuel filter, and the fuel pump test ok, nest easy test is in tank.

911joeblow

Sounds definitely like a bad or floating fuel pump. Floaters are where the pump shaft binds in the bore or the pump return is not working well. Either case needs at least the pump removed to take a look.

Dock Rocker

My guess is the pickup in the tank or something in the tank sucking up against the pickup. If the new fuel filter, and the fuel pump test ok, nest easy test is in tank.
I remember there being a rash of guys getting a piece of the sock from the fuel float assembly in the pickup tube. The symptoms were similar to the OP’s issue.

The test was to pull the fuel line loose at the block mounted pump and blow compressed air into the fuel line to blow the obstruction out and see how it ran.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

papakb

Just as a fast addendum you might want to look at the fuel lines themselves to make sure you don't have a cracked line sucking air. There are lines on the top of the tank and more up around the filter.

FFesco

Ok, I’ve figured it out! I swapped out the mechanical pump that feeds fuel to the injector pump. The one I bought was a Carter M73105. I also some air in my lines along with blocked injectors, so I cleaned those out as well and made sure I had fuel running through. I did a few small things, such as new clamps around my hose lines to assure the fuel system is air tight.

I hope my problem helps someone out there. Thanks for all your input. My truck sounds great now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks