• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MadDawg's deuces home safely!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went up to Letterkenny, PA on Thursday morning with a towbar and some lights (thanks, Jeff!) and rigged up the deuces for towback. Checked the winch truck, started right up and ran great in the lot, checked all the fluids and the air pressue/oil pressure/etc. and made sure I had on clean underwear. Hooking one deuce to another was easy, getting them lined up was a pain in the rear. Back forth back turn grumble front back turn cuss back crunch oops front back DONE! Then check my underwear again.

Once the deuces were hooked together, towed them out front and got a few good stares from other people picking stuff up at GL. Not sure why. The front tires of the rear truck (the non-winch M35A2) were a little low on air, and rolled fine when straight, but turning at road intersections was a little unnerving, seeing them squish out and ride on the sidewalls around the bend. I drove the chase vehicle (Rob's Nissan pickup) behind the rigs most of the way to make sure nothing bad happened. (Hey, it's our trucks, but his money!). We made several stops, one to fuel up, just to check everything and make sure it was okay. Left Letterkenny at 10:50am and arrived back in Front Royal area at 1:45pm. A few times, Rob got the deuce down to 38mph on I-81, and he was being flipped off by kids in car seats for holding up traffic, but for the most part, our speeds were 50-55mph. Not bad for a deuce towing another.

Got some thumbs-ups as well from drivers who liked our combination! Guess MVs are kinda cool, like chick magnets, except the chicks all weigh 200 lbs and look like they fell face-first on an M2A burner unit. :)

Anyways, they are home safe and sound in storage at my buddy's place (I don't have the room). Next, we're gonna fix them up a little and start using them. Cool!

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: MadDawg

Way to go Mike your daughter is gonna love to ride in that one too. Wouldn't it fit up there where you had all the radio mounts? I know the trees won't complain. Those are fine looking dueces and you will love having one. Mine is still my favorite of all of them with the M52 a close second.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: MadDawg

TacticalTruck said:
Well done! The green one looks like a very clean, original truck.
Jeff
Sure does. I didn't think there was a truck that clean left in the system with those original style mirrors. :shock: Congratulations!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: MadDawg

Armada said:
Nice Trucks Mike! Love a mv recovery / road trip story. Gumby will never get any attention now.
Wrong! Gumby is getting some attention this weekend - had new U-joints installed (the ones I put on were rusted up, my fault), and the remaining of the exhaust is going on. If I get time this coming week, Gumby will get her new gas pedal assembly installed (will have to post pics, I am doing something completely different than stock). Also, next week, she goes into the shop to get her brakework completed by a pro in town. He needs the money and has the time, I have the money but no time.

The deuces were bought to play with, and ultimately sell to get new toys. They are secondary, and likely, will shop for parts for them, and knock out a cosmetic resto on them in one day with Rob, for each truck. He wants to make this a side business, which is fine, it's his dime. But it will not cut into Gumby's time on my end.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 1st truck, from 50th MSB, came out of NJNG. Underneath the GL sticker, what company is infront of the 108? The 50th is still in business, and just got back from Iraq. Your truck is probably one that they turned in to get FMTV's.

Cdub

Hi Mike,

Wow.....you've got a couple real nice look'n deuces there for sure. I'm glad you had a safe trip back home.

Good Luck with the new Toys.

Cheers,

C'dub

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
emmado22 said:
The 1st truck, from 50th MSB, came out of NJNG. Underneath the GL sticker, what company is infront of the 108? The 50th is still in business, and just got back from Iraq. Your truck is probably one that they turned in to get FMTV's.
It's B for Bravo. Guess it came from my old neck of the woods, near Ft. Dix.

That one runs like a top too!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks