• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Made a mistake

maxxplanck

Right now I could call myself all kinds of names, A fellow SS member stoped by the house and we were walking around one of my deuce's . Ane we noticed that I had left the fuel cap off since Sunday. My tank is full with diesel and some 2 stroke outboard motor oil . It hasen't rained that I remember but we have had frost a few mornings. Do I need to drain all the fuel or should I just add something like Sea Foam ? All my fuel filter are spin-on so those are easy to change, any ideas... Thanks Rich :evil:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just check the filter drains for any water that accumulates. DON'T use seafoam since it's alcohol based. That will just carry the water straight through the filters. Most likely you've done no real harm.

dgardner

Banned
If you haven't driven it, just drain off the bottom of the tank. Any water will have collected there. If you have driven it, drain off the bottom of the tank and then drain the filters as mentioned previously. If you don't have a tank drain, park the truck in an area where the nose is angled down and try siphoning/pumping from the filler hole to see what comes up.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More water accumulates in a tank due to condensation from natural temperature changes than probably entered the tank through frost. I concur with the other posters. I would also suggest adding a whole bottle (the big bottle, 64 oz., I believe) of Power Service diesel fuel conditioner. It helps to shed any water that might accumulate. I add some to my trucks all year around.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rich,

I know you said in your other thread you got carried away with the post, but I deleted it anyway. Please try to be more careful about cross posting in multiple sections of the forum.

InsleyGuy

Rich, What about one of those cheap plastic siphon pumps? Direct it to the low point of the tank and pump into a clear container. It should get out the bulk of anything that might be there. The way the truck is parked I doubt much rain could get in. Maybe I should stop in to check things out more often.:) Tom

Scrounge41

If you haven't driven it, just drain off the bottom of the tank. Any water will have collected there. If you have driven it, drain off the bottom of the tank and then drain the filters as mentioned previously. If you don't have a tank drain, park the truck in an area where the nose is angled down and try siphoning/pumping from the filler hole to see what comes up.
Make sure the tank is level or you could end up with a pocket of junk on the the downhill side.

dgardner

Banned
Make sure the tank is level or you could end up with a pocket of junk on the the downhill side.
Actually, getting all the "junk" at one end of the tank would be a good way to get it cleaned out. Since water is heavier then oil/fuel, it will stay at the bottom of the tank, so by tipping it, you can get it to all collect in one corner for removal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks