• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Magnetic oil drain plug

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Removed one of the oil pan drain plugs from the LDS465-2 engine to drill and tap for a pipe plug to supply a preluber and found that they have a magnet attached..... (didn't pay attention to this detail when I changed oil several months ago).

I have second thoughts about drilling it now, so this one can be saved.
In case you havn't seen one before, see image.

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn, did you ever find anything on the cranetruck? I put your wheels in the mail last night..sorry I took so long :oops:

No.2Diesel

I also never noticed. I'm pretty consistant about cleaning the plug threads before replacement on all vehicles and didn't recall a pile of filings on the plug. hmmm

That copper washer looks quite busted up.

No.2Diesel

Plastic or nylon is common on cars and trucks. Copper is prevalent when dia. of the plug and torque increases. The copper washer has greater durability and is less prone to crack. Exhaust manifold or header gaskets are copper and seal very nicely because they squish.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Magnetic oil drain plug

WillWagner said:
Bjorn, did you ever find anything on the cranetruck? I put your wheels in the mail last night..sorry I took so long :oops:
Thanks, no rush Will.

About the knock in the engine, no I haven't dropped the oil pan yet, I do have the gasket on hand, but I use the crane off and on and simply haven't psyched myself up for the job yet.
There are many projects in the fire and working alone, motivation is a biggie...

Went ahead and sacrificed the magnetic feature of the drain plug. Drilled and tapped the plug for 1/4 NPT threads. This will be the supply for the preluber.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks