• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

maintenance weekend for 2011 Graves Mtn rally

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cabell said he's coming up to Syria VA on Memorial Day weekend, and we are planning on doing some trail scouting and light clearing on Saturday May 28th. I plan on doing some work that day, already cleared my schedule so I can help.

Anyone else local to Central VA wanna help out? We have hand tools, all we need are some able bodied souls who want to help get the trails ready for the event on Labor Day.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone? A few guys helped out in years past, don't be shy. Unless you have something going on for Memorial Day weekend, I know this is a bad weekend to get together....

Memorial Day

Really Wish We Could Go We Have A Ride Planned At Uwharrie We Were Up There In May We Cleaned A Small Vehicle Trail We Are Calling It Devils BackBone Its A Mean Trail. Have A Great Time Hope We Can Make It The Next Time. Steve & Laura:grd:

CGarbee

I have a few folks that I'll email since they are not on this site... :) I'll be on site Friday afternoon through the Bluegrass festival that occurs the following week (running the concession/shower facility in the camping field...).

Remember, my cell phone does not work at Graves (none do), and I'll have limited we access...

Looking forward to a productive start to the Memorial Day weekend.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
July 4th weekend will be the next maintenance weekend. Just some light trail work and mapping are required. We will primarily be using GPS to map a new trail, for the day workers to cut with dozers and saws during the weeks prior to the event.

zout

It has to be one of those wish I could be there - and I really mean it. After talking with Neil and knowing the history of Graves Mtn area for its bluegrass - being a bluegrass fanatic I do wish I could make it over. Oh yeah - to help you all all first and then go plunk it down for some fine pickin listening.

Hope you all post pictures.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went over to meet with Cabell on Sunday to do some trail clearing, there were about 6 others as well, I can't remember their names or know whether they are on SS or not. However, great people, not afraid to work, we cleared over a mile of new trails (formerly old logging trails) for the rally, on Sunday alone. Plus, we also scouted another 1.5 miles or more of trail that was more heavily grown, it will require GPS mapping and serious chainsawing and brush cutting later this fall or next winter before the leaves are on the growth.

The trails we saw vary in difficulty, from easy and nice enough to haul a deuce or 5-ton down the trail, to very steep and only a built jeep can make it. They will be fun! There also was a trail cleared earlier this year that Cabell has dubbed The Black Snake Trail, it is triple-black-diamond with lots of rocks and cuts, will take a serious 4x4 and a competent driver to do that one!

Below is one pic I took of a cleared trail. Imagine this old logging road from 40 years back clogged with sumac, briars, small softwoods and vines, and that's what it looked like before. Cleared for MV use now! All it will need prior to the rally is a mild hit with some weedeaters, and the day crews can do that.

Attachments

Last edited:
Graves Mtn Clean Up

We Went Up Friday Nite We Camped In The Field.Our Group Consisted of Steve & Laura & Dale & Christine &Dez & Irvin & Debbi & Chrissy. . After Getting Set Up In The Field We Meet Up With Cabell And Discussed What We Were Going To Work On This Weekend. Got Up Sat Morning We Couldnt Wait On Cabell So We Started To Roll Some Big Bolders From The Extreme Devils Back Bone Trail At The Top Of The Mtn. Worked On That Till Lunch Came Back And Ate And Went Back To Work we Worked On Rolling Rocks Until We Got Into A Bees Nest And Three From Our Group Got Stung With It Being So Hot We Called It A Day. Sunday Morning Meet With Cabell And Mr Graves To Discuss Opening Up Some Trails Behind The Lodge. . When That Was Over We All Meet Up And Started To Open These Trails. We Worked On Them Till 1.30 Went To Lunch Then Came Back And Found And Marked Some Other Trails. All In All A Hot And Stormy Weekend But A Lot Of Work Was Done. Thanks To Our Group For All The Help. and As Always Thanks To Cabell For Everything. :cool:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks