• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Making a dump?

cbvet

A buddy has a 1975 Am General M813A1 with winch. He wants to put a dump bed with hoist from another (civilian) truck on this chassis.
Wants to know whats required to run the hoist.
I'm guessing he needs a PTO with front & rear outputs to run the pump, right?
Anyone know where to get a dual PTO, or whether he can add a rear output to his?
Thanks!
Eric
CBVET

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the same dilemma with an M135 I used for years as a farm truck. I added a civilian hoist under the body. I seem to be an incurable find a cheaper way guy, using machining experience, etc. to come up with a way around spending big bucks. I welded a #50 roller chain sprocket to the winch drive shaft u-joint yoke that is on the PTO box. I then put 2 brackets on the truck frame slotted to accept a jack shaft in two pillow block bearings with a sprocket to match up with the one on the PTO box and a keyed end opposite to accept the first u-joint of a drive shaft to the bed pump. With the winch locked in neutral out front, the shaft will spin and drive your hydraulic pump when you engage the PTO with the cab lever. It is good to run the winches in neutral at times to keep the cross-shaft in them oiled anyway. I used this arrangement for 15 or more years. I never had a problem with turning the hydraulic pump both directions when running the winch forward or reverse.
Regards Marti

pa.rich

If you dont want to go with a pto, you could get an electric set up for $2500.Cause, dont forget you will need levers and linkage from the cab to the pump control box and the pto. Thats a pain unless you can find all that from the civy truck set up, but even then you will have alot of fabrication to do. The other thing to watch is that you have the hydraulic pump on the same side as the pto which is passenger side. 8)

cbvet

Great idea Marti, I'll pass that along. He has a well equipped farm shop & can surely do this.
The bad part is, now you've got me thinking about other things I could run off my single output PTO.
Any idea what the PTO RPM is at a given engine speed?
Thanks,
Eric
CBVET