• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Malta Half-track ID..

tamangel

The guy in Malta sent me this pic asking for a possible ID.. Too bad he didn't take the cover off.. Any clues from the photo? Also he asked where any ID numbers were on the frame or ?..It may not have any data-type plates..

"Now we also have another vehicle in our care which again does not belong to
us (yet). I am pretty sure it is an M5 as attached. Any idea where the
chassis number can be found on this?"

Pic labeled as 'International M5 Half Track'

Thanks in advance,

Mike

any links as to history/make/vids/etc.. that I might pass to him, would be nice also..

Attachments

Last edited:
Easiest characteristics of the M2/M3 White series vs M5/M9 IH series to spot are missing on this vehicle. The front fenders and the rear corners of the body.

On the White series, the front fenders are formed with a curve from the outside to the hood, almost like a flare and the rear corners of the body are square, riveted or welded.

On the IH series, the fenders are flat from side to side and the rear corners are rounded.

Quick glance makes it look like this may have been some kind of gun platform, mounting a 37mm/.50 cal combo or a Bofors. Again, with the cover on it's hard to tell.

Blythewoodjoe

There should be a number on the drives side front frame behind the wheel. That will help a lot. It looks like it is the longer frame for a M3. I dout it is a international but that is just a hunch. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out with a little research.

woodwalker

hello the dash is completly diffrent as well with the "white " models haveing a combined instrament cluster the IH will have seperate guages. The engine will be diffrent white haveing a white and the IH a IH engine also the Ih armor is 5/16 thick rolled armor so all the armor will be that thick all over. the Ih track armor by the tracks will be one piece and bent where all the white armor is 1/4 thick and flate plate the track armor will be in 4 pieces per side. and bolted together.
there might be a usa number stamped into the front bumper or passenger side crab assyembly if rebuilt by a certain company. should be 40XXXX?
give me a email and I can send some pictures of the diffrence.
also go over to G503.com tracked/armor and they have tonns of info there.
hope this helps

tamangel

here's his latest and a pic.. no numbers yet..

Mike

"This is the Half Track as it was fully restored in 1975 and it was described
as M5 International. What do you think?"

his latest sent today:
"1) I cannot gain access to the vehicle for at least a
couple of weeks. 2) All the armour has been removed as you can see from the
photograph all be it under the cover (edit: see first thread post for pic). I will get back to you when I find out
some more information."

Attachments

Last edited:

tamangel

doing a little research, from what I find, it is an M5. The rear one-piece body and that 'tool carrier' being full length on the body side seem to nail it..

Mike

Wreckless

As an owner of an IHC M9A1 HT and a M5 chassis I can say that this is an International track. They use a different front axle with 9X20 tires.

tamangel

continuing Malta

latest:

Made a flying visit to the store. See more photos of HalfTrack.
Red Diamond engine (IH) no serial number and looks like individual dials not
a cluster although they were not immediately in front of the driver. Armour
thickness not practical as since rebuilt probably with what they had. The
rear thickness is less than the cab thickness. Third photo is winch.
M35's no serial numbers whatsoever in the areas given and even most
component plates have gone.
Regards
Peter

Peter, check the two forums linked below. Folks have been doing some research and have posted info..

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=30542

http://www.g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=134750

Deuce:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=30382

Can someone post a few pic's on the dashboard/interior differences possibly?

Mike

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks