• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Manifold Heater Question

fredrader

Hi All,The plate on the manifold heater switch on the dash said do not use unless it's either 20deg or maby -20deg I forget..I have tried mine back when it was warm out and I can't tell if it works or not..Is it set up with a temp switch that won't let it work untill it gets down to 20deg like the either injection cold starting system or should it work at any temp..??

bomar76

No, no temp switch.

Bjorn had a thread about them awhile back...he thinks the spray of diesel doesn't ignite by the sparker, so they really don't work.

I dunno if they do or not.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is no temp switch in the flame heater circuit. It could easily be installed if desired, but is not normally part of it.
I found that the turbo equipped engines have a skinnier adapter, which increases the air speed to a point that snuffs out the flame. Made a monitoring device to confirm this.
The N/A engine has a wider adapter with slower air flow and the flame heater worked well on it (mine before conversion).
Never turn it on unless the engine is being cranked. If it doesn't ignite, then you'll pump raw diesel into the intake manifold.
One fellow purchased one of the monitoring devices from me a couple of years ago and confirmed the findings.

Bjorn

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the testimony:

Sent : Friday, October 17, 2003 8:02 PM
To : "Military Vehicles Mailing List" <mil-veh@mil-veh.org>
Subject : [MV] Flame heater monitor results

I just got Bjorn's flame heater monitor installed yesterday on my turbo multifuel. His comments in the October MV Magazine article about flame blowout, at least with the turbo, show to be true on my engine as well. The flame monitor tells me that no flame is present once the truck has started and the preheater is activated. It only registers a flame when cranking. At least now I know when to stop "juicing" the intake with raw fuel during start up :) Unbeknownst to me at the time, my flame heater was not working at all when I got the truck, due to a dead ignitor AND a spark plug with cracked insulation that only fired part of the time. Having this monitor installed gives me some peace of mind in that I know immediately when the system needs attention.

I am curious to know if anyone else has bought one and installed on a non-turbo? If so, what are the results during cranking and initial startup?

All in all, a great product. Very well built, and it even looks original with the military connectors and indicator light.

Also Bjorn, thanks for including the disassembled pic of the flame heater injector in your article in MV Magazine. I ended up getting distracted by life for a few days after I took mine apart to clean it, and the pic came in handy :)

Hope this helps.

Bjorn

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi all,
I got an order for one of my optical flame detectors, but can easily make more once I get set up.
If you are interested, let me know. The units are as described in above links. Cost is $40 with shipping included for the CONUS.
I have several indicator lights left from previous projects and will include one free of charge as long as supply lasts.

Thanks,
Bjorn
MVPA 19212