• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Map Light or Trouble Light Connector Question

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was wondering if anyone here would happen to recognize this connector?

It is on the end of my map light / trouble light cable which is SUPPOSE to plug into a single center pin female outlet on my dash. I suspect that I am missing the single pin connection that this connector mates with. The only number I can find on this connector is A328295.

Does anyone happen to know who might:

1) Recognize this connector and know who made it and what other parts are supposed
to be with this assembly.

2) Know where to get parts / more of these connectors (hopefully complete units)

Thank you for any help you can provide. I'd really like to have this light working.

Storm 52

Attachments

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, it does look like that (plugging into a light socket) but what it is supposed to plug into is a single pin connector.

Unfortunately, what you are showing in post # 3 is a Douglas connector. This termination would never fit.

This is what is causing me such a delema.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is kind of cool in that it has its own self-contained fuse assembly.

I just wish I could find the single pin connector to plug it into my receptacle on the dash.

Storm 51

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was wondering if anyone here would happen to recognize this connector?

It is on the end of my map light / trouble light cable which is SUPPOSE to plug into a single center pin female outlet on my dash. I suspect that I am missing the single pin connection that this connector mates with. The only number I can find on this connector is A328295.

Does anyone happen to know who might:

1) Recognize this connector and know who made it and what other parts are supposed
to be with this assembly.

2) Know where to get parts / more of these connectors (hopefully complete units)

Thank you for any help you can provide. I'd really like to have this light working.

Storm 52
It is kind of cool in that it has its own self-contained fuse assembly.

I just wish I could find the single pin connector to plug it into my receptacle on the dash.

Storm 51
Confused here. In the first post it looks like you are in seach of the receptacle for the light to plug into. In the other post it seems you are looking for the single pin connector to plug it into on your dash.

Post 3 shows the receptacle with an appliance already plugged into it. You can always change out the packard connector if you need a douglass connector.

glassk

[h=1]M42 Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4 Command Truck (G-741)[/h]The M42 Command Truck is a member of the M-37 Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4 Truck Family (G-741). Its full nomenclature is Truck, Command, 3/4 ton 4x4, M-42.
The Command Truck M42 is only slightly different from the base model M37 cargo truck. They are not manufactured as a separate model, rather the M42 Command Truck is created by modifying an M37 with the installation of a conversion kit. The M42 conversion kit consists of replacing the standard M37 canvas with these M42 components:

• Body side curtains with windows
  • Split rear end curtains
  • Map light
  • Folding table
The regular canvas tarp was rolled up on the sides, secured with leather straps, to expose the side curtains. The window panels were made of a non-reflecting plastic material. Sources differ on the provision of an entry step ladder for the M42 Command Truck.
When the M42 kit is installed, an M42 dataplate is added to the M37 dash (photo, below). Trucks configured as the M42 Command Truck were also converted back to the M37 configuration. According to TM 9-8031-2 Change 3 dated 29 January 1968, all references to the M42 Command Truck in the manual were deleted.

http://olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_m37_m42.php

glassk

Maybe in reply to: MMurd10690@aol.com: "[MV] M-37 or M42 Truck"
<< Is this a M42 command truck? >>

The M42 was an M37 with a "Command Car Kit" applied. The kit included the
following: Map light and reel, map harness, junction box, map table, side
curtains with clear plastic windows, and end curtains, an additional step, a
manual, and data plates. Also, most M42's were also radio trucks, which had
radios that were bolted down to the troop bench directly behind the driver,
and also had the larger 100 amp generators.

The front end curtain had tabs for the map light harness to pass through.
The side curtains were high enough to clear the side boards, so that the
side boards did not need to be removed, and had 3 clear plastic windows in
each one. The right and left side curtains had different part numbers, even
though they appear to be the same.

I know of three different types of steps on M42's. One has a 4 step ladder,
one has a single step that hooks on the bumperette, and some others had
fold-down type steps that were attached to the middle of the tailgate.

The map table had a 1/2" plywood top with two telescoping legs with wing nuts
on top to tighten them down. The table had two Z-shaped brackets and was
stored by fitting the Z-brackets into the sideboards. When the table was
used it was supported by the folded down troop bench on one side with the
legs partially extended. It could also be used by leaning it against the
tailgate with the legs fully extended, as shown in ORD 9, page 4.

The map light bracket has two screw holes. These are screwed into the bottom
of the ridge pole very near the front of the truck. When you needed the
light at the back of the truck, you pulled it and it spooled line off the
reel and you could then use it in the back. Putting it up near the front,
kept you from hitting your head on it when you climbed in and out of the
command car.

The junction box was mounted inside the cargo box, at the front. This
junction box had a wire that ran through the 1/2 hole in the back of the cab
and connected to the batteries.
This had several plug-in sockets where the radio plugged in, the map light
plugged in, etc.

The dataplates came with the kit, and were supposed to be removed from the
truck if and when it was decommissioned back to an M37.

All of this is explained in detail in a manual (probably only a couple of
pages) that came with the command car kit. It covers every single step
necessary for converting an M37 to an M42.

===

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the help, guys. I now understand why I can't find the single pin connector to plug this into my dash receptacle. It is obviously a later cord and connector on an old trouble light assembly. At least now I know what I am looking for in terms of a plug. It's too bad Saturn is out of stock, but now that I have a part number I can start calling all the "usual suspects".

As far as the M-42 Command Truck, glassk, I've pretty much got mine all put together. I'm missing the light reel for the bed, the "map harness" (what is this?), the front M-42 curtain (I'm getting one of these this summer) and the junction box (I'd REALLY like to find one or two of these). I would also really like to find one of the manuals / packing lists. Right now I'm using a couple of CUCV bed power supply junction boxes for the radios.

I have a couple of sets of the original side curtains, the rear curtain, the table, the data plate, a boarding ladder (probably not the correct one) and the step that fits over the bumperettes. My truck is wired with the three pin receptacle in the forward wall of the bed and I have a complete 100 amp generating system that I have not installed. I have the complete A/N GRC-3, -5 & -7 radio systems and an A/N GRR-5 and a brand new extra AM-65 / RT-70 unit and mount. I've also managed to collect all the mounting drawings and info for mounting the radios in the bed, but I don't want to drill my seat so I've put together a clamping / pallet system to avoid that.

So, I'm close, but not quite there. If anyone knows the whereabouts of any of the parts I still need I'd really like to hear about any possible leads.

Thanks again for all the information and help with the light plug issue. I really appreciate it.

Oh, btw glassk, that link to MMurd10690@aol.com: "[MV] M-37 or M42 Truck" apparently no longer works. If you have a new address, I would love to see it.

Thanks again for all the help, everybody!

Storm 51

papakb

If you do an internet search for BA-15s connectors you'll find these connectors. Most of the hits will be for the recepticles but interspersed are some of the male types too.

Kurt

MkD

The Map/Trouble light was made by Cole-Hersee. The company is still very much in busniness. I'm not sure what bulb was used. If you use a continuity checker on the contacts on both ends of the light, you will find that on the light itself, there is continuity only between the two contacts in the light and the postive and negetive ends of the plug. That means you'll have to find a single filiment, double contact bulb in order to make the light work, and wire one wire on the socket to power, and the other to ground. If you use a single filiment, single contact bulb, you will need to modify the light end of the light by soldering a wire on the outside of the bulb socket and wire it to one of the leads connected to the bulb base. The modern Cole Hersee stock number for the plug is 1465 (although it doesn't look like this plug is fuse protected). The socket is a standard US Tail light socket with level pins. I have converted one of these lights for use in a WC 52 weapons carrier with a 12 volt system by modifying the light to get a ground with a single contact bulb. I used a 5 amp, self resetting circuit breaker (WW2 version available through Peter DeBella Jeep Parts) wired into the socket circuit between the push/pull switch for the socket and the ignition switch on the vehicle (where the whole circuit gets power), so the socket would only have power with the ignition switch on, and the push pull switch in the on position. I'm getting more plugs to fit this socket so I can also use this socket to plug in a detachable 12 volt windshield defroster. The defroster has an inline 5 amp fuse, which I eleminated by using the 5 amp circuit breaker in the circuit instead.

UPDATE 10-23-13 The plug on your light is for a World War Map/Trouble light, not an M series light that was in the M42. Your clamshell map/trouble light was used in WW2 Command/Scout cars and in half tracks and tanks. The M series light had a different type male plug. If you're looking for the correct map/trouble light for an M42, contact John Bizal at Midwest Military. Make sure you mention that you are looking for the map light for either the front of an M42 on the dash, or the light on the reel that mounted in the rear cargo area of the M42.

Last edited:

suacla

Thanks for all the help, guys. I now understand why I can't find the single pin connector to plug this into my dash receptacle. It is obviously a later cord and connector on an old trouble light assembly. At least now I know what I am looking for in terms of a plug. It's too bad Saturn is out of stock, but now that I have a part number I can start calling all the "usual suspects".

As far as the M-42 Command Truck, glassk, I've pretty much got mine all put together. I'm missing the light reel for the bed, the "map harness" (what is this?), the front M-42 curtain (I'm getting one of these this summer) and the junction box (I'd REALLY like to find one or two of these). I would also really like to find one of the manuals / packing lists. Right now I'm using a couple of CUCV bed power supply junction boxes for the radios.

I have a couple of sets of the original side curtains, the rear curtain, the table, the data plate, a boarding ladder (probably not the correct one) and the step that fits over the bumperettes. My truck is wired with the three pin receptacle in the forward wall of the bed and I have a complete 100 amp generating system that I have not installed. I have the complete A/N GRC-3, -5 & -7 radio systems and an A/N GRR-5 and a brand new extra AM-65 / RT-70 unit and mount. I've also managed to collect all the mounting drawings and info for mounting the radios in the bed, but I don't want to drill my seat so I've put together a clamping / pallet system to avoid that.

So, I'm close, but not quite there. If anyone knows the whereabouts of any of the parts I still need I'd really like to hear about any possible leads.

Thanks again for all the information and help with the light plug issue. I really appreciate it.

Oh, btw glassk, that link to MMurd10690@aol.com: "[MV] M-37 or M42 Truck" apparently no longer works. If you have a new address, I would love to see it.

Thanks again for all the help, everybody!

Storm 51
Hello there. I saw your postings a few years back when you started working on your truck. I am in the process of doing my M42 and like you, I have all kinds of issues specially looking for information on the conversion kit info and installation. Now I am ready to install the 100A generator system and all its components and wires and I need help. Did you finish your truck? Will be possible to send me pictures, specially of the installation of the Rectifier and Regulator? Also, if you did the junction box for the radios and light will be awesome. My email is suacla@yahoo.com

suacla

Hello there. I saw your postings a few years back when you started working on your truck. I am in the process of doing my M42 and like you, I have all kinds of issues specially looking for information on the conversion kit info and installation. Now I am ready to install the 100A generator system and all its components and wires and I need help. Did you finish your truck? Will be possible to send me pictures, specially of the installation of the Rectifier and Regulator? Also, if you did the junction box for the radios and light will be awesome. My email is suacla@yahoo.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks