• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Marine Corps use of m170

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I have found several references to the use of m170's by the marines as a 6 man personnel carrier, but I have been unable to find any pics or descriptions of how they were marked/equipped. does anyone recall how they were outfitted?

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Check with Dave Pizzoferrato at WeeBee Webbing - he is restoring one of these (he previously restored a M170 to ambulance configuration as well).

Hope this helps,
David

jasonjc

I think I read that they use in for a "radio jeep" and a flight line taxi also.
BFR if you find out more or any details I'd like to know.As my M170 is missing all the amblance stuff. And a restore option would be nice.

ONTOS66

No details, or photos, but "Standard Catalog of US Military Vehicles" by David Doyle mentions that while most were ambulances, "a few ... were outfitted as radio trucks or airfield taxis." Nothing useful in "US Military Wheeled Vehicles" by Fred Crismon.
Good Luck!

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I saw an interesting variation(airfield taxi) on one of the governement auction sites maybe 18-24 months ago... NASA blue w/ white bikini top. want to say it was at vandenburg?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those are heavily modified P2V Neptunes, served in Vietnam in "unofficial" clandestine roles. The only official gunships were AC-47s, AC-119s, and AC-130s, but there were a number of other aircraft that were modified with guns and heavier weapons, like the P2V and the A-26 Invader. Generally they were real-echelon aircraft that were WWII or 1950s leftovers, some were put on the Air America roster and took off from bases in Thailand or Vietnam, to conduct bombing or clandestine runs in Laos or Cambodia, where we weren't "officially" supposed to be.

The M170 probably made a good flightline vehicle, the extra bed size was perhaps good for carrying more gear and ammo out to the waiting vehicles than, say, and standard M38A1. See the peacock painted on the driver's side just forward of the footwell? Is that unit specific, or just someone's idea for a good piece of artwork?

ta73

m170

I have a m170 marine corps unit number 130 on left back corner that has the streacher railes in it , i am looking for the upper streacher rack

rodmayo

I have two marine corps m170 jeepsthe first one is a early model ser. no.10161 date del. 3/54 it is the 116 th off of the production line.This jeeps data plate has Depot maintennace-Marine Corps. this jeep had all strecher componants and had the army style lifting shackles when i obtained it ?

The second jeep is a late model i beleive to be 116 th from the end of the prodution ser no. 12110 this jeep has no date of del. stamed? this jeep data plate has depot mantenance-ordnace dept. it had all marine corps. lifting shackles. no strecher brackets or ambulance hard ware.this jeep also had spare tire mouinted out side tub. with tire on one rear coner and jerry can on the other.I'm assuming for ease of soldiers getting in and out?

the first jeep i described was not a canidate for restorastion .I picked it up for parts but did not have the heart to destroy jeep.I was making it into the m170 prototype for a great looking trail ride rig.Due to rest. on other M170 jeep this one is up for sale . rodmayo@yahoo.com 517 764 5537

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks