• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Master Switch

Warren Lovell

Just connected my battery and when the switch is in the "on position, I get no power. Then when I turn it to the off position, I get power.

Can anyone clarify that clockwise is on?

Thanks guys,

Warren

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What have you been doing? Replaced a switch, wiring, added a switch? Are you referring to the accessory switch? It has several connections on the back, have they been disconnected?
Need more input....

Warren Lovell

This is the strange thing...I have never unplugged the master switch. So, After hooking up the battery, I am at a loss why the polarity seems to be reversed on the master switch.

I'll look more into it on Saturday.

Warren

PS - Thanks for the lightswitch diagram.

SixBuy

Assuming we're talking the 'Accessory' master switch - yep, clockwise is 'ON'. It's got four connections, A,B,C,D which get circuits 11, 27, 11, 1 respectively (11 is the unfused battery feed and it goes to two posts. Be careful!) (27 feeds the low air buzzer, starter button, front wheel drive switch/light and the in-tank fuel pump) (1 feeds the manifold heater and the alternator) Turning the switch on connects A to B and C to D like a DPST switch. Hope that is what you needed.

Warren Lovell

More input...As for the electrical harness, I purchased a NOS harness just for the lighting switch and turn signal switch connector and wires. Mine were well frayed at the connector and were bound to short out. I cut the connectors off giving me 8 inches of wire. All wires were labeled prior to cutting on the old harness and the new harness. Then the new connector was soldered in one wire at a time, double checking for their correct position. That was the only mod.

warren

ktm380

Yes very strange! Now for my 2cents ... The switch just opens and closes. Polarity? It sould just be a (+)hot and the (+) switch leg, or the (-) neg. and the (-) neg. switch leg. I have not looked at mine but it just makes and breaks the line.

SixBuy

Need more clues. Define power on/off - Can you hear the fuel pump run, does the low air buzzer buzz, starter work, etc? My guess is the acc Sw is being backfed by something in the lighting circuit all of which is fed from circuit 15 on connector 'F' of the light switch. I'd start by disconnecting connector 'F' and see if the symptoms change. Sanity check - the horn solenoid should click regardless of the state of the Acc switch. Maddening isn't it?

Warren Lovell

The pump or air buzzer does not come on...ut oh...what did I do???
And I have one of those new press button light switches. THe black wire is grounded to the dash support.

Warren

Longhunter7

Uh Oh!

Warren,

The first and easiest thing to check is the ground!

I would run a temporary wire to a very reliable ground and then try it!

My turn signals quit working, and it turned out to be a loose clamp that held the turn signal switch to the steering column! Tightened it up and bingo, they worked!

Nothing electrical will work without a good ground! :twisted:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
warren is talking about the battary on/off switch, its still my guess that the wires are in the wrong conectors, the reason i say that, the switch works backwards (ie if what is to come in the on postion, comes on in the off postion and turns off in the on postion) in another words its wired backwards

SixBuy

And you did/did not remove any wires from the accessory switch? It could be the accessory switch is simply miswired or burned out from an overload - although circuit 15, which supplies 28V to the light switch on pin B, shows to be directly connected to wires 10 and 11 near the accessory switch. I guess my first move would be to check for 28V on pin B of the light switch and verify the connections on the accessory switch. Did you get a copy of the wiring diagram? Want a snail-mail copy?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing about the new style pushbutton light switches... They have TONS of electronics in them, and the ground needs to be VERY VERY GOOD.. Make sure you have bright shiney metal to bright shiney metal contacts for all the grounds.....

Warren Lovell

Electrical saga continues

I found out my initial problem...the turn signal wiring plug was not completely screwed in all the way. So after doing that and charging the batteries, it started on the first button push...just an amazing vehicle!

Now the new problem (which was an old problem I never dealt with):

The batteries are fully charged. The ammeter needle is in the yellow. So, I take it the deuce is not charging. My 1009 is always in the green.

What are my issues here? Do I need a rebuilt generator? Or is the regulator bad?

Anyone been thru this on the deuce?

Thanks for all your help!

Warren

SixBuy

Warren, I'm amazed! What does the turn signal connector have to do with not getting power to the starter, etc.? Strange stuff! Did you get the wiring diagram?
Re: the charging system - the ammeter is really a voltmeter. Static voltage should be around 24V and rise to 28V when charging (the green area). First thing I'd check is verify the voltage with a voltmeter. Then check the 'field' voltage to the alternator. Gotta have 24V on wire 568 (from wire 1 on Accy. switch) to energize the alternator. No ground on wire 3 is a killer also...
Good Luck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks