• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

may buy M37.......advice?

junker

i may be buying an M37 to restore as my sons(14) vehicle. going for a running, decent one. almost bought one last summer but backed out and bought a jeep cj7 instead. now he wants to get rid of it and get an M37. any thing i should watch out for when buying? may be going look at this one this weekend. its $3950, has title, supposed to run but needs a new gas tank. what do you think?
thanks,
doug

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I know it's harder to find vehicles in some areas than here - and the vehicle does have a winch and seems to be fairly complete but it looks "rough as a cob" by the pictures.
For 4,000 i think you could do much better.
My top offer just from the pics would be no more than 1200.00 unless he guarantees it runs and shifts good and brakes work. then we could talk more money

ov1guy

Couple of things that caught my eye, not as an expert, just an observer. No plates or stickers tell me that it has not been on the road (probably) for a long time. I think the others are right; it's too rough for the price.

junker

already talked to the owner and the price is firm. may go out to look at it this weekend so will hopefully have better idea of condition and if i can remember to grab the camera i'll take some better pics. have been looking and have a few lined up but this is the best one so far, and it has something some of the others don't................a title, which is a big deal in PA.

As for the tires, i'm sure they're for sale as the truck is at a military parts yard that some of you may have heard of. "Sam Winer Motors".

not going for a nut and bolt resto. just want to get an M37 and put it in good condition for my sons first vehicle. any truck that old are alot of work but he is up to it. as for this one, we're looking for one that is close to PA and this is the only one so far that really fits that bill. i'll keep you posted. thanks, doug

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Doug

! loose track, but I bought mine close to 40 years ago. The Guy that I bought it from said," the M37 was the finest four wheel drive ever built". I think that opinion still stands. When you get one of the modern 4x4's stuck, you can usually drive a circle around it with the M37. Its my kind of "four wheeler".

I applaud a young man being interested in one. However, I would caution that its not a Hot Rod. Vertually every part is availiable for them still. It is a +40' year old vehicle, so even one in real good condition, will soak up a lot of time & resources. Get the best one you can to start with now. I wouldn't even consider the one you posted, compaired to the two showing up in this post.

Lee in Alaska

MilitaryRestoration

I bought my starter m37 that was 1000 times worse than that one and no winch...and everything was a disaster EVERYWHERE lol... guy was asking 1200 for it I got it for 600...ended up trading a authentic m1a1 garand along with a bunch of other stuff including original perfect condition wwI helmets, moral of the story that truck is actually a pretty good buy regardless of what it may look like, and m37's will only keep their value if not make u money :)

btw-the truck i bought has been seen/posted in the ugliest military truck post hehehe

Attachments

Hm2klie

I used to live about 20 min from sam wiener they are good for parts but their vehicles have always been high very cool yards to walk through

davidkroberts

seems a little pricey...... your son does realize that he'll be waving as school buses pass him. watch the ebay ads or order one from the classified ads here. 4000 is way too much for that vehicle in that condition.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks