• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

medical oxygen tanks for welding?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A surplus store near me has a few medical oxygen cylinders, the little small ones with the pin-type valve instead of the standard "water faucet" looking valve. These were oxygen tanks that came from the military in the 1960s and 1970s for use on ambulances. I think they are empty, but they look like new condition.

Was wondering if they could be changed to the standard valve, so that they could be more useful around the shop, for welding purposes? I have already searched on this, and found mixed answers, mostly because the question asked concerned changing the filled gas to CO2, which is a no-no. But if the tank would still be used with oxygen, do those tanks swap valves, or are the threads different?

goodguyzy

I'm not sure that a supplier would fill them because there is a difference in the type of o2 that is put in, medical o2 is just filtered better pretty much. I'm trying to remember back to when i took the medical gas certification class.... must be getting old or something.

cjcottrill

The valves can be changed. I would check with your local welding gas supplier. Many suppliers also provide medical grade gasses as well. they might swap you tank for tank, or allow an "upgrade" credit for an "r" cylinder, or whatever size you need. Our local "AIRGAS" store has always been pretty good to work with allowing credit for tank swaps. They have always allowed the tank cost of the tank being turned in as a credit toward the purchase of a larger tank. The age of the tank doesn't matter as long as the test date is valid.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This reminds me of a old welder I used to work with. He was a drunk and would come to work hungover sometimes. He would walk to the back of the shop, turn the O2 on the torch on, and take several wiffs right out of the torch tip. He said it helped.

Medical O2 is just a purer form of O2 than what is used in welding. I'd just go to the welding suppy and see if they will take them.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, Just ask the local supply house if they can be used or traded.

As for using O2 on a hangover my buddies used to come back from drinking while overseas and when we got up the next day they would get in one of the planes and breath from the mask. (On my avatar)

:)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks