• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

UPDATE: Melted #16 Fusible Link, Won’t Start

fullthrottle46

UPDATE:

So it cranked over when I reattached #16 (not #6 like I thought it was) momentarily until it started. I'm still baffled though as this was connected all along before it melted.

Hey guys,

I’m wondering what this Number 16 fusible link goes to/ does? Mine has been attached to the positive bus bar and randomly it started to melt/ burn. I was driving for a while and then stopped and when I tried to restart it kicked over once and then it started to smoke. I've traced it to going into the cab, not sure where after the firewall.
IMG_1763.jpeg
Back story: this M1031 was molested by a half-wit kid and converted to 12v, generator/box scrapped. They could never get it to start correctly and they installed 2 momentary switches: one for the glow plugs and one for the starter. The starter button was wired directly to the starter with no fuse.

Current Set-up: I proceeded to clean up their mess and replaced the ignition switch on the sterring column and installed a ANL-500A Electrical Protection in between the starter and the original starter wire to be able to use the key again to start. This worked for a while but sometimes it would not start. If I bump arched the starter a couple of times then it would start. It has in the past kept continuously turning over after arching it.. I used a newer (lighter weight) starter from a OBS 88-98 truck, I haven't had issues before.

I’ve looked at TM9-2320-289-34 Appendix E but I really can’t make heads or tails of it. I don’t see a #6 on the positive bus bar.

I’m really at a loss on this… any and all info is greatly appreciated to help me get this 12v system to start correctly with the key.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks