• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002/003 engine servicing

Triple Jim

Yes screejunk, as I said, I'm with you as far as not running at a speed other than 1800 RPM with a load. The question that started the thread was how to prevent damage if the generator needs to be run slower than 1800 RPM while diagnosing engine problems. I ran the test with no load because that's what rickf was asking about. The regulator in my MEP-003A was not stressed in any unusual way during test, which seems to indicate that as long as the breaker is off, there's nothing wrong with starting the engine at the lowest speed setting, running it as long as desired at that speed, and bringing it up to 1800. I'm not advocating that, just observing that it doesn't appear to be dangerous to the regulator.

Not being very experienced with Diesel engines, I'm hoping some of the guys here who are might shed some light on the subject of starting a possibly very cold Diesel engine and immediately running it at 1800, versus starting it at a lower speed, warming it up a bit, and then bringing it up to 1800.