• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 002 & 3 glow plugs

Hello and how is everyone. First off, I called INDUSA to order some glowplugs and they informed me that it looks like Champion will no longer be manufacturing these glow plugs. Anybody have P/Ns from other manufacturers avail?
Second thing, I have an 003 thats been sitting since the spring so I decided to go out and fire it up last weekend. (yes it was cold out) Last time the machine ran it was putting out good frequency and voltage. When I started it it kept stalling and low RPMs . I opened the engine cover to find that two of the glowplug connectors had broken off the end of the plug. looks like the little spot weld corroded on the flat spade connector.
i heated the the cylinders with the broken gp's with a propane torch to try and at least warm it a little. It finally started, although it coughed, sputtered, and smoked like you wouldn't beleive. Now, the voltage is hovering around 265-270 volts. I am not sure but what are the possibilities of the rotating diodes took a hit when it was running below RPM? Checked all of my switches to make sure everything is in the right place and turned the voltage selector from 120 to 240 and to three phase several times. Contacts should be making good connection on that switch. Other possibility is VR maybe? Will clean the grounds when I have time thiss weekend. Any other ideas? Thanks metalworker393

storeman

Last week or so a member indicated he had to buy a dozen Champion glow plugs to get the 2 or 4 he needed and offered the excess for sale, Maybe he will chime in. If not, I have some tested slightly used ones. Not soliciting, just trying to help.
Jerry

Triple Jim

If your panel voltage adjust pot got dirty from non-use, it could cause the high voltage output. If you haven't yet, try wiping it back and forth a dozen or two times. I don't remember how sealed it is, but if you can spray some good contact cleaner like DeoxIT D5 in it that'll help too. Assuming the generator was running unloaded, I don't think the slow engine running would have blown anything, but things can blow without apparent cause sometimes, so anything is possible.

Thanks for the input guys. I didn't really try turning the voltage rheostat more than three times while I was checking the ac voltage. I'll definitly try the contact cleaner too. Issac, I am by no means electronics friendly so what is involved with testing and/or replacing that transistor.
Storeman, I ordered 6 plugs while he had them. I want to replace the ones in my 002 since they are getting a little cruddy looking anyway. Won't hurt to do some preventive maintenence and change them before I get stuck needing the genset in the freezing cold. This machine got me through the hurricane and ice storm last year and a good workout this year with Sandy.

Jimc

Man i just ordered my glow plugs from them. They didnt send me champion. They were wellman plugs. Wellman is now dieselrx. Goto their website and call them. They might still
make them i dont know. Rockauto still has champion.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sometimes have the same problem. I shut the engine down and switch the voltage-ammeter selector switch back and forth several times. When started back up the voltage is always correct. I obviously have dirty contacts in the switch.

Isaac-1

Hopefully it is just a dirty pot, but if not replacing transistor on the AVR board is fairly easy, it is the larger one that is soldered on and also held in place with 2 small screws and nuts. Simply remove the AVR board from the cabinet (rusted screws and need for box wrenches may slow you down a little, but it can be done without unmounted anything else first, you may want to spray some penetrating oil on the cabinet mounting nuts and let them soak if rusty) , remove the 2 small screws / nuts on the transistor, using a small soldering iron unsolder the legs of the transistor, and solder in replacement (note correct orientation). The only thing you have to be careful of is to not over heat the new replacement, the best way is to limit contact time with the soldering iron while holding the top of the transistor case with a pair of pliers to act as a heat sink. You can get replacement transistors for well under $5, either from the major electronics dealers (Newark, Mouser, Digi-Key, etc.) or they are often available on ebay, shipping will usually be more than the transistor so it may be smart to buy a spare or two, just in case.

Hey guys whats going on, got a call yesterday from a guy over at federal mogul. Says that they arn't taking the glow plugs off of their list of parts and should be available for some time. Thought I would just put that out there. metalworker393

bookpile

I called Chuck today at IndUSA and he is out of stock on the CH42. He said is trying to put a bid in to have 500 or so made but he won't know the status of that for a few weeks. I found some others without the kit, does anyone know the size of the copper washer so I can order some of those too?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks