• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 002 AC voltmeter.

Okay guys nice to be back online. Have a new issue. I just got power back this morning so now I have internet service and land lines again.
I was without power for about five days so the 002 kept everything running.Didn't suffer any major damage but did lose utility power. Okay, after about three days my AC voltmeter dropped off and the needle is just sitting there barely moving. I was looking in the TM's but really didn't see whats the best way of troubleshooting.
In short has anybody else had this happen to them and where do I start trouble shooting? I ran the machine in the 240v configuration if that makes a diffrence.
Thanks, metalworker393

Grega

Was wondering if you checked voltage with a volt meter. My guess is that with the vibrating nature of the Mep 002a, something might have broke inside the meter. Open up the control panel and check for voltage with a volt meter on the back of the meter with the genny running. Make sure your voltage selector is on the right setting.

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both of mine stopped working, the vibration is their enemy. I have a volt/freq meter panel in the house by the panel to verify the settings. Or I just use my fluke meter at the set.

storeman

Voltmeters fail frequently. Once you have put a multimeter on it and adjusted the throttle, don't worry unless the engine sound changes. Check often with your multimeter. Glad you came through in good shape.
Jerry :beer::beer:

Keith_J

Careful, the terminals on the voltmeter are at output voltage when running. There is no protection so don't ground them out when measuring. The other meters use transducers or transformers for the signal and are safer to measure directly.

If the voltmeter fails, use the convenience outlets, don't pop the Dzus fasteners on the instrument panel and measure off the terminals.

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are you using as a remote meter?
Jerry
Just analog meters off of a generac generator, the square kind. I need a bigger box so I can mount the ammeter and remote shut down. If I could find my camera I would take pics of this and the deuce w/s-250 shelter comboaua.

Hey guys thanks for the info. I used a handheld multimeter to check the voltage across the lugs. So what I should read at the back terminals of the analog meter should be 240V +/- a few? If so any voltmeter would work as a suitable replacement? I understand that the frequency meter has the transducer but the voltmeter is direct reading.

Keith_J

Yes, you can use any voltmeter that fits and has correct scale. Any direct reading meter with scale from 90 to 250 volts is fine.

The frequency meter uses a transducer which outputs a variable current depending on frequency. The transducer input is a nominal 120 volts from a single stator winding.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks