• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 002 for home backup?

Corvette1974

Hello.

I have been interested in a military generator for a while now. Through my research, it seems that the 5kw MEP 002 is the right one for me. It would be running at a pretty high load, so it would avoid wet stacking as would a higher rated unit may (like an MEP 003). Are my ideas correct?

My house has a central AC unit, a oil burning heater, 2 fridge/freezers, electric water heater, Well pump, 2 sump pumps, along with lights and other standard things. There are also 2 TVs and a computer, but of course they arent required. If I wanted to run the house, could the MEP 002 do it? The main priorities are the air conditioning (whether heater or cold AC) and the sump pumps (to save my basement during a storm!). Lights are also needed.

If the 002 cant, would a 003 be the next right choice?

Will

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How many tons is your central system? Also the SEER rating? the 002 can handle a 3 ton but 4 and 5 tons need more LRA's (locked rotor amps) than the 002 is good for.

Corvette1974

How many tons is your central system? Also the SEER rating? the 002 can handle a 3 ton but 4 and 5 tons need more LRA's (locked rotor amps) than the 002 is good for.

I'm not sure what the tonnage is. It is a carrier weathermaker and it says the compressor is a 1/5 HP and that the entire system is 220V and says system minimum current is 20.2 Amps. But based on the amp rating of the generator this should be fine.

Will

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Problem is, you're almost at the maximum current rating of the 002a with just your AC running, and the water heater when it cycles on will add another 20 amps minimum to that. Not to mention that if you are using any water to make the water heater cycle on, then the pump will come on as well...more amperage. You would be better off with an 003a. Wetstacking isn't as big of an issue with air cooled generators as it is with the larger liquid cooled units. But you still should load it down for an hour of so about once a year just to burn off any deposits.

Corvette1974

Problem is, you're almost at the maximum current rating of the 002a with just your AC running, and the water heater when it cycles on will add another 20 amps minimum to that. Not to mention that if you are using any water to make the water heater cycle on, then the pump will come on as well...more amperage. You would be better off with an 003a. Wetstacking isn't as big of an issue with air cooled generators as it is with the larger liquid cooled units. But you still should load it down for an hour of so about once a year just to burn off any deposits.
Hmm ok.....the ac isnt a true requirement. Heat is. One thing I was thinking, since the 003's are so powerful, I could have it wired to power the whole house and would that be enough to de-wetstack it? Like I could once every month just run the whole house off of it, or would that not do it?

Will

rickf

The air cooled diesels run hot enough that wet stacking is not really an issue. As long as you are running it at the rated rpm (Never run it too slow, things burn up!) you will not have to worry about wet stacking. I ran mine for three days after Irene on very light load (could not get the right transfer switch at the time) and had no problems at all. All I was running was a well pump, a freezer, a fridge and the TV.

Corvette1974

The air cooled diesels run hot enough that wet stacking is not really an issue. As long as you are running it at the rated rpm (Never run it too slow, things burn up!) you will not have to worry about wet stacking. I ran mine for three days after Irene on very light load (could not get the right transfer switch at the time) and had no problems at all. All I was running was a well pump, a freezer, a fridge and the TV.
I wish we had a generator during Irene, that was ****. And yes, I know about the RPM thing, so you dont burn up the voltage regulator.

I'll expand my search for an MEP 003 as well, hopefully I'll find a good one soon, as my dad says we need one pronto!

Will

Right size generator

Hello and how are you. I was reading your post and thought I would chime in. Last year during Irene I lost power as well. Only for about sixteen hours so it wasn't that bad for me.
I have an 002 that I use for backup power, and it powered my house just fine. When i got up in the morning after the storm passed I had about 5 inches of water in my basement. I had the 002 set up and ready to go so I put my rubber boots on and went down to the cellar checked the panel to make sure utility power was out. and it was.
Secured the main breaker from the utility power and started the genset. When I closed the breaker on my genset the load meter went up to 30%. At that time I was running two sump pumps, a freezer, two refrigerators the cellar lights and three ceiling fans. After the pumps went off I was running about 20% on the load meter.
I didn't run my AC as I had the cellar door open to help dry it out. A friend told me that it is not good to run a central AC system as they do not like generator power. I don't know if this is true or not but if I had to I might get a small window unit and try that.
Well, I ran my 002 for about 12 hours and used less than 6 gallons of diesel. Not bad in my book. I think if you go with an 002 you will most likely be allright.
Happy hunting and hope you get one metalworker393

steelandcanvas

A friend told me that it is not good to run a central AC system as they do not like generator power. I don't know if this is true or not but if I had to I might get a small window unit and try that.
The house AC system doesn't care where it gets power from, as long as you have the correct voltage, Hertz, and enough amps for the load, it will run as designed. I'm curious why he thinks that.

Last edited:

Isaac-1

Most likely the friend was talking about cheap overrated generators with poor voltage regulation. As to the original question, a MEP-002 is a good choice for emergency backup for most people, this will likely not be a life as normal backup generator, but instead will provide power for the basic necessities, but when it comes right down to it in an extended outage any generator is better than no generator, the larger the generator the more you can run, but also the more fuel it burns, which may be your limiting factor if fuel resupply is an issue.

Ike

Corvette1974

Most likely the friend was talking about cheap overrated generators with poor voltage regulation. As to the original question, a MEP-002 is a good choice for emergency backup for most people, this will likely not be a life as normal backup generator, but instead will provide power for the basic necessities, but when it comes right down to it in an extended outage any generator is better than no generator, the larger the generator the more you can run, but also the more fuel it burns, which may be your limiting factor if fuel resupply is an issue.

Ike

Hello and how are you. I was reading your post and thought I would chime in. Last year during Irene I lost power as well. Only for about sixteen hours so it wasn't that bad for me.
I have an 002 that I use for backup power, and it powered my house just fine. When i got up in the morning after the storm passed I had about 5 inches of water in my basement. I had the 002 set up and ready to go so I put my rubber boots on and went down to the cellar checked the panel to make sure utility power was out. and it was.
Secured the main breaker from the utility power and started the genset. When I closed the breaker on my genset the load meter went up to 30%. At that time I was running two sump pumps, a freezer, two refrigerators the cellar lights and three ceiling fans. After the pumps went off I was running about 20% on the load meter.
I didn't run my AC as I had the cellar door open to help dry it out. A friend told me that it is not good to run a central AC system as they do not like generator power. I don't know if this is true or not but if I had to I might get a small window unit and try that.
Well, I ran my 002 for about 12 hours and used less than 6 gallons of diesel. Not bad in my book. I think if you go with an 002 you will most likely be allright.
Happy hunting and hope you get one metalworker393

Thanks, good information. My power was out for 4 days and we lost most of our basement. We definitely need a generator soon!

I'll keep a look out for both generators, as they both would fit the bill the save the house and keep it liveable. I'll pass the info onto my dad, as it seems:

002-Power everything needed to save the house, and make it liveable.
003-Power everything, and the neighbors house!

But either way, they would both do the job.

I know the fuel use for the 002 is .57 GPH at rated load, does anyone know what the 003 is rated at? Fuel use wont be a problem, we'll have many fuel tanks available, and if we know a storm is coming will stock up. Plus in a pinch we could use our heater oil and fuel from the CUCV.

Thanks,
Will

Isaac-1

Fuel use at rated load on a MEP-003 will be about double the use on a MEP-002a (maybe just a little bit less due to slightly lower parasitic losses) since they are the 2 and 4 cylinder versions of the same engine family. If looking for basic load only military surplus generators you may also want to extend your search to the 3KW MEP-016D and MEP-016E's which are life extension repowered MEP-016C and MEP-016B's using Yanmar L70 and L100 engines. I have a MEP-701a (MEP-016b) in my backyard which can run my refrigerator, chest freezer, along with a pair of window air conditioners (8,000 &11,000 btu) along with some CF lights, computer, TV, etc. In the winter it can power the blower for my gas central heat instead of the air conditioners.

Ike

Grega

Might keep in mind your budget. and the fuel comsumsion. Ive been watching prices on GL, mostly in the central U.S. Mep 002s have been going for th 4-$500 range and the mep 003s go for $1600 to $3000 I just got back from Fort Riley KS. with 3 Mep 002s. Paid $380 to $410 for each. All were complete. One had 300hrs and the other 2 had 1500 and 2200 hrs on em. The paper work on them indicated that they were turned in to GL last Febuary, so it shouldnt take much to get them going again.

storeman

I sure wish 002's were going for that price on the east coast.
Jerry

Might keep in mind your budget. and the fuel comsumsion. Ive been watching prices on GL, mostly in the central U.S. Mep 002s have been going for th 4-$500 range and the mep 003s go for $1600 to $3000 I just got back from Fort Riley KS. with 3 Mep 002s. Paid $380 to $410 for each. All were complete. One had 300hrs and the other 2 had 1500 and 2200 hrs on em. The paper work on them indicated that they were turned in to GL last Febuary, so it shouldnt take much to get them going again.

Keith_J

The water heater with central air will be an issue. If you can work without the AC, you should be fine. Or live without the water heater.

Even better would be running the house off one 002A, then using another to drive the AC. You can break out the feeds and use the low voltage control signal to turn the second 002A on. There are a few members with programmable logic controllers for command start. You would have to run a delay in compressor start until you have stable frequency, then the PLC will transmit the call for AC contactor engagement.

With a 4500 Watt water heater, the generator will easily power the rest of the load. Basically, you would have an 003A with flexible loading. If your AC is sized correctly, you should be in the 65% duty cycle during average summer days. That would mean 8 gallons per day for AC and 9 gallons for the base load. Each unit will burn 12 gallons per 24 hour period at maximum load. Plus you have redundancy.

rickf

I sure wish 002's were going for that price on the east coast.
Jerry
AMEN!! Triple those prices for 002's over here in the east. I was going to sell one of my oo2's but I think for now I am going to hold on to it.
Jerry, I may be calling you soon if I can ever find the problem with mine. I have to put in another injection pump and see if that solves the problem. If that does not do it I will be looking for parts.

Rick

Corvette1974

Wow, I wish they sold for that around here....I'd already have 2 or three!

I'm checking GL, CL, Ebay and the forum classified in hopes of a good generator. I think I'll go for either the 002 or 003, whichever fits the bill when I find it.

Isaac-1

You never know with GL I bought my Mep-002a two weeks ago here in Louisiana for under $400 and saw others in this group of about 10 go from $350 - $750. I had been watching local GL stuff and plain Mep-002a's have been going in the $1000 ballpark most of the time for the last couple of years.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks