• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 002 looking for a genset, generator ideas?

dave2500

Hello,
I am new to this site,
i am looking for a back up generator to run my home when i do not have power
I always hear how good the military generators are

I wanted to know to run a mid sized house with 3 sump pumps and a well and some lights, and the fridge and maybe a wall AC unit? (thats not a must)
what unit do you think would be the best?
i dont want to get a really over powered one because some people told me that it is not good to run them at a low load
also any idea on how much fuel a good one for me use
thanks

Also if i get it from GL what can i expect to pay and how much work/money would they be to get them into good running condition?
also what is the chance of them running good from the base
also GL has a rating system, what rating should i look for
Also how many hours is good
Thanks so much,
Dave

Isaac-1

Take a look at the current message thread "calling all generator owners" it is an attempt to create a reference to answer some of those questions. As to the sizing a MEP-002a is a good option for general household backup like you want, may even run a bit more than you listed, but without amp draw numbers for your pumps, etc. it is hard to say for sure.

Ike

p.s. I have a 3 KW MEP-701a (MEP-016b in ASK housing) it will run my refrigerator and chest freezer, along with a modern 8,800 btu and 11,000 btu air conditioner with enough left over to run the tv, computer and some lights and fans. The well pump will be your big question.

Last edited:

dave2500

Take a look at the current message thread "calling all generator owners" it is an attempt to create a reference to answer some of those questions. As to the sizing a MEP-002a is a good option for general household backup like you want, may even run a bit more than you listed, but without amp draw numbers for your pumps, etc. it is hard to say for sure.

Ike

p.s. I have a 3 KW MEP-701a (MEP-016b in ASK housing) it will run my refrigerator and chest freezer, along with a modern 8,800 btu and 11,000 btu air conditioner with enough left over to run the tv, computer and some lights and fans. The well pump will be your big question.

Hello,
on the one you said you have the 3 KW MEP-701a (MEP-016b in ASK housing)

if u dont mind me asking how much can i get one from for from GL or a person
also how long will they run in hours
also any idea on how much fuel they use
also if i do get it from gl do they come running or how much work and money are they to get running
thanks
im thinking i can do without the well. if i need to i have the gas 5kw ones that you get at home depos and places like that but im looking one that is going to last
those other ones are no good so im starting to think the 3,000 watt one would be enough because i also know that they are under rated.
thanks
dave

Isaac-1

I will try to answer that question, being an auction it is hard to say what they will sell for, but I paid about $400 for mine a couple of years ago after watching several sell in the $700-$800 range, I have heard of people buying diesel MEP-016b's for as low as $250 or so, it just depends. I was lucky mine was a runner, all I had to add was fuel, oil and a new $100 battery (they are a special size 24V). Since then my battery charging voltage regulator went out, killed the battery by over charging, so I spent another $100 for another battery and about $100 on ebay for a a replacement battery charging regulator. I am also having a problem with my AC voltage regulator, it is likely just a cheap transistor or capacitor that has went bad with age, I will likely try to fix it, but may drop in a $75 made in China clone SX460 voltage regulator in its place. As to fuel economy by the book it is around half a gallon per hour at full load (the MEP-016D and E's with the retrofit Yanmar's are likely a little better on fuel economy), depending on the case the 5KW MEP-002 may get better economy than the MEP-016b since it runs at 1800 rpms vs 3600.

All GL stuff is as-is meaning it may run, or may be a paperweight, around here an informal poll shows about 50% are runners or nearly so only needing simple repairs, about 25% are semi-economical to repair, and the rest range from parts units to paperweights.

Rapracing

Eta

These are up in price over the past year. I have seen many MEP-002's go for $1800 - $2200 over the last few months. I haven't really watched the .016's but I am sure they are up as well.

I have purchased two units in the past year.

The first was in the spring and I wanted one real bad so I probably over paid. It is an MEP-002a I got it from GSA. i paid $1508.00. Added two batteries @ $100.00, new filters (oil, fuel and air) and oil. The fuel tank had gunk in the bottom so I had to take it off and flush it out. I added fuel and it is took off. I have since used it three times, as recently as yesterday for 4.5 hours when the power was out, and love it. I had to put just over 2 gallons of fuel in to top it off after running it. It is over charging the batteries so I need to deal with that problem. Seems like a lot of money for a 30+ year old generator but IMHO worth every penny.

The second is an MEP-003a I got from GL in September for $1550.00. That was a good deal for what they are typically going for right now. Once again I cleaned the fuel tank. It wasn't near as bad as the first but still needed cleaned out. I put all new filters on it, oil and 2 new batteries once again @ $100.00 each. I was once again thrilled when the unit took right off. I have used it only one time but so far have found no other issues.

http://www.govliquidation.com

If you want one that runs I know they are sold on ebay and there are a couple of places that get them from GL, fix them up and sell them as well. I don't know but would guess these are sold as is too but they are running when you get them.

Last edited:

dangier

I have struggled with a big box store gas 3600 rpm unit for years with non-existent voltage control (all over the place). After buying a 002a for $870, I bought two more on GL for around $800 each. Have had to put some cash into each one to get them running. Average around $400 each (ip fuel pump, dc voltage regulator, and ac voltage regulator repairs). Sold and installed one for a neighbor to pay for all. Once hooked up, with load management, one will run my 2200 square foot house very well (water pump, water heater, furnace, washer, all lights, computer ups charging, etc). Have not tried dryer yet, but I think it will work.

Overall, very satisfied with being able to use the full 26 amp capacity in 120/240 mode. Have not been able to get them to start my shop air compressor yet. It is a three hp motor and trips breaker on unit. Have a smaller compressor that works ok thought.

Plenty of help and support from the guys here on SS. They are great at solving issues and getting units running.

If you have any further questions, please ask.

David

Isaac-1

I am assuming you have done your research, are handy around engines, know that almost all of these are going to need some work if bought at auction, etc. So I am going to get right to the point on auction sites in no particular order:

1, Ebay, steady supply, lots of semi-professional resellers, some sell as is, others do some refurb, some of the refurbs are of the rattle can variety. Every once in a while there may be one that sells cheap, so it is worth looking, most are sold local pickup only

2, GL (Government Liquidation), these are almost all going to be DRMO turn in units from the military, they are the ultimate AS-IS sale, and dealing with GL has about all the pleasantness of dealing the the DMV, this is not to say that there are not pleasant individuals some of the time, but as a system it can be a pain. Over the years I have bought various equipment from them (6 or 7 generators, a couple of fork lifts, diesel air compressor, water pump, jacks, and even a file cabinet, and probably half a dozen things I am forgetting....) Except for a couple of the hydraulic jacks, and a couple of things bought as parts units, I have been able to get it all running, with only moderate amount of work, I might be very lucky though, and certainly pay attention to details. As others have said prices are up, a lot of that is on the east coast though, and GL does not ship, they do allow pick up by some freight companies though, well anyone, but many freight companies will not want to deal with them and their pick up appointments and potential 2-3+ hour wait once you get there, hassle of getting on base in some locations, etc. Condition can vary all over the place from dead field turn in units, to fresh rebuilds and everything in between. Out of generators I have bought from them only one started ran and generated power with only fluids and batteries, and it quickly developed a problem with its battery charging system (needed new $100 voltage regulator). Since writing the earlier replies in this thread I have bought 3 more generators from GL for myself, and 1 that was part of a batch I passed along as it to another forum member. A MEP-016D yanmar conversion, a MEP-002a and a MEP-003a, all 3 were relatively easy fixes, the MEP-016D (paid a bit too much at $450 thanks to a dead low hour meter, someone had installed a DC hour meter on an AC circuit) just had a clogged fuel filter that needed attention to get it running, and a few secondary semi cosmetic things, like broken wires going to the panel meters, and stuck belly tank fuel diverter valve, stuck in external supply position. MEP-002a bought for $400 or so last summer seems to be a fresh from major service (but not full rebuild) with all new filters, new starter and new fuel tank installed, ran first starting attempt, but voltage was high (154VAC instead of 120VAC), had blown $3 transistor on the voltage regulator (very common problem) 5 minutes with a soldering iron fixed it. MEP-003a bought a couple of months ago for $1,100 or so, needed only new filters, batteries and fluids, tank had some gunk in the bottom that had to be cleaned out, but not nearly as bad as most people report, to started. I call this one my stealth MEP, it is painted solid OD green, has none of the common stencils not even a DIESEL ONLY on the fuel tank, and is missing some of its data plates like the starting instructions. Unit markings suggest it belonged to a now disbanded Air National Guard rapid deployment force. Engine runs a bit rough until it warms up (still working on that), and it did not generate power when started. That one took some time to locate, but traced it to a voltage control transformer that was installed backwards. This mistake is somewhat understandable when you see the logical wiring schematic on the top of the unit shows the 4 wires in reverse of physical position. Still it is obvious from bits of marker tape, etc. that someone had tried to fix it by the book and gave up before locating the problem 3which was WAY down the test procedure list. Given this may likely have been the person that installed the transformer backwards, one has to wonder about their skill level.

3/4 GSA Auctions, and GovDeals These are both going to be auction sales of surplus material from government entities, many of which received hand me down generators from DRMO that did not go to the GL sales process. Think of all of these like you might a 2 owner used car vs a 1 owner. Again you can find pristine rebuilds here, they just likely have sat around longer, some will have been used, and modified / civilized with such additions as electrical connection boxes grafted on, or being painted fire service red, you can also find odd mix and match stuff, like a MEP-002a mounted on the type trailer you usually see a MEP-004a on. I have bid on a few, but never won anything from one. On the plus side some of these people can be a lot more flexible to work with than GL, sometimes will tell you history on the units, if trailers are/were road worthy, if tires still have air in them, etc.

Ike